No announcement yet.

1986 MGM 5.0 Master Cylinder Cao-n-gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inside of the bore rusting would be another concern. its cast iron, and the seals are just rubber. Run rubber bits over rust a few times and its done.

master cylinders are stupid simple inside, just a couple of seals, a piston, a spring, and a snap ring to hold it all together. The only real way a new one could be screwed up is if they didn't clean the bore up after machining it and there are sharp edges where the holes are drilled into the bore for the outlet and the reservoir. That actually happened to my boss with a prop valve he put on his sister's Heep. 2 months later and it was spewing fluid out of somewhere that shouldn't have fluid. Took it apart and he found a burr that sliced the O ring seals.

I actually have an old un-used master cylinder for my Continental that Scott gave me, it was a spare for the SVO he had years ago. Its probably pushing 20 years old at this point. I should see if I can even find a rebuild kit for it
    Last edited by gadget73; 02-04-2023, 05:50 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So, NOS or store brand X?

Comment

I would go with a name brand master cylinder with a lifetime warranty. I always buy the master with a new booster. Saves doing the job over especially if brake fluid leaked inside the booster. Just my 2 cents

Comment

yeah, often they won't warranty the booster unless it goes with a new MC either. If the MC is leaking fluid back into the booster its just a matter of time until the rubber fails.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 on doing the complete job unless you enjoy doing it twice.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Ok do not shoot me!...............my master is not leaking!..........the only reason I thought of its replacement was because I want to replace all of the brake lines, and thought WTF, might as well do the master as well. Is this a crazy thought??

Comment

Depends how old the MC and booster are. The system must be bled anyway so why not unless it is a financial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                  Depends how old the MC and booster are. The system must be bled anyway so why not unless it is a financial issue.
                  I assume they are in there since new. I purchased the car from the original owner.

Comment

Then it becomes a personal preference but since you are doing all the brake lines......

Comment

LOL..............and then there is my Avanti that I need to do brakes and wheel cyls on..................yea the old car hobby surely drains ones wallet;-)

Comment

Cars are like a "needy" girlfriend/wife. LOTS of attention ALL the time!

Comment

Working...
                        X