• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake Hose Bolt Stripped

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4060.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1396169 Stripped the bolt that holds the brake line hose on top of the rear axle housing.

What are you all doing to get this off?

The head is too shallow to use an extractor that grips the head.

Considering cutting the head off and trying to grab the stud.

pic for example (off the 88/not stripped yet, the 90 is the current problem child).
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Id heat it up and use a chisel and hammer to try and work it loose. Maybe vice grips can grab it? Last resort...grind the head off like you mentioned.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hammer a bigger torx socket on first
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I'd just weld a nut onto that button head fastener.

Comment

My welder doesn't have enough amps to actually make a nut stick to the bolt. New welder is something I've been thinking about for a while but not yet.

I'll try the next step up Torx or a chisel if I can get it in there. Gas tank is right in the way. Wish I would have done this when the tank was out a few years ago but didn't think about it.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

My HF special Chicago Electric 125 will weld a nut to a bolt if I preheat it with a map torch. Not the place I'd want to do that though. I would try hosing it with PB Blaster for a few days (seriously... spray it a few times each day and just let it work) and then trying the correct size star impact on it and see if it moves.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

cut the hose off, zip tie the new one to the old block and carry on with your day.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, gas tank being right there is limiting for sure. Makes you wonder why manufacturers use certain fasteners. My Explorer has the same exact thing except it's a hex there. Torx to me would seem like a terrible choice. Just soak and pray i guess. If you have room to swing a hammer you could try an impact driver

Comment

Nick had a stuck one on his ‘89. We ground off the head, removed the hose, and extracted the rest with some vice grips. Liberal amount of penetrating spray was also used.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Won the victory over this bolt last. Ended up grinding the head off, pulling the hose/bracket, and the remaining stud came out with an extractor.

The threads weren't rusty. The problem seemed to be the bolt head rusted to the brake line bracket.

On another note, this car is pretty clean underneath but the axle housing is a rust bomb. Would have been nice if they painted them before leaving St. Thomas.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Glad you got it out

Comment

Victory!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                        X