1989 MGM Lower Ball Joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 MGM Lower Ball Joints

Hello. Today I changed the front shocks on the ole girl and found a bit of play on the driver's side lower balljoint. All other balljoints/tie rods are tight. I doubt these are original as the car has 260,000 km on it and I know the history of it back to about 175,000. Anyway I looked in my pos Haynes manual and it says the balljoints are non replaceable and the complete control arm must be replaced. Is this true??
    If so it doesn't really look like that big of a job. I took a quick look underneath again and don't see any alignment cams on the bottom arm attaching bolts. Are the mounts slotted for alignment or is it all done on the upper control arm? Is this arm available through Napa?
    I would appreciate any insight into this that anyone has.
    I am fairly capable at most repairs but have never done any balljoint replacement. Usually I don't keep a vehicle that long LOL.Thanks

lower ball joints arent that bad to replace......you will need a ball joint press......the lower and upper ball joints are replaceable.......i have had a few cars that the ball joints did not fit tight, in those cases i weld the ball joint to the lower arm.....this is rare, you should not have to do this
    oh and welcome to gmn!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The factory service literature says to replace the whole arm, but its not neccesary. The joint presses out like any other car. If you can find a whole arm, it might not be a bad idea to swap it so you get new bushings, but I sort of have my doubts you'll find one. I would actually suggest doing both lower ball joints at the same time, since the other one will not be far behind the first in getting loose.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.
        As I said I've never done balljoints before. Will the spindle assembly swing up far enough to change the lowers without removing the uppers? If I have to remove the spindle assembly I guess I might as well as do all4? Thanks again.

Comment

You can pull the spindle out of the way enough, if you get creative with a bungee cord or something, you can tie it out of your way. Doing all 4 wouldn't be a bad idea, but its not neccesary if you're sure the uppers are tight. They generally last a lot longer than the lowers, so they might be OK.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's not hard to do your self at all. As long as you go get a Ball Joint press. It's just a big modified "C" clamp. Rent one from your local parts house where you'll get the ball joints. Advanced auto parts in my area lets their customers use them for free. You pay a deposit ( the cost of the tool ) but you get it ALL back upon return. Just buy the ball joints. I'm happy that I didnt take it to a shop. It was much cheaper this way. Like Gadget73 said, If you tie off the spindle You can do it on the car. I think its better that way because the control arm is secured to something and you wont have to put it in a vice or stand on it like I had to with my BBS.
            Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
            Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
            Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
            Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
            sigpic

Comment

Another point, make sure you have a jack or something under the lower control arm, otherwise it will fly downward when you seperate the spindle. The shock will stop it and keep it from ejecting the spring, but its not good for the shocks.

Comment

well... i just learned my '87 Grand Marquis needs a lower balljoint from whatever the person did driving the car hit. the grease zert is wobbling in the lower balljoint and i need to get the lower control arm front bolt replaced since its bent. i have the bolt started to be removed when i looked at balljoint and touched the grease fitting noticing the movement from how it looks to be pushed into the joint. ugha, looks like fun with a balljoint and control arm bolt for me.
                Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                X