brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    What's the easiest way to know what type of piston a given caliper has, or do you just have to yank it and stick a magnet in there?
    Phenolic is a much thicker piston, the steel ones are very thin. Thats the reason for the different pads, the clips and nubs (anti rattle clips) on the back of them. Other than that the pads are the same.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by LumpyCheeseman View Post
      what is the bolt threading on calipers?
      Okay, so after reading through the banjo bolt options on Russell's, Earl's and Speedway's brake sites, the options are either 3/8"-24 or 7/16"-20 banjo bolts.

Since I have a spare set of 4 month old brand new leaking piston useless calipers laying around, and I was needing to go to Lowe's anyway for some grade 8 leaf spring bolts, I figured I'd get one each of the 3/8"-24 and 7/16"-20 machine bolts to check the hole size.

The result is that it is in fact a 3/8" bolt, but it is not 24 pitch threads. So, I busted out my trusty re-thread kit, and come to find out, it's 3/8" NC thread. That would be 3/8"-16 thread. So, the bolt in the kit from speedway won't work.

Wouldn't we just re-use our own bolt anyway, and just get the 3/8" banjo fitting.?

And to take it a step further, it seems that Russell has universal kits, with a banjo on one end, and a threaded fitting on the other end. We'd just have to pick the correct length, and go with that. Theoretically.
      1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
      1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
      1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

thanks for the info enigma.

here is the banjo that would be required then.

just choose your fitting size and make (or have made) some braided lines, instant upgrade for cheap.

Comment

Working...
        X