Front Brake Rotors/Taperd Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake Rotors/Taperd Bearings

I recently attempted to replace my front rotors on my and pads on my 89 Grand Marquis and, I dun fucked up somewhere as now when I attempt to drive there is a loud squealing and severe resistance also the wheel wobbles when I attempt to drive . I assume this has something to do with installing the new rotors which appear to have bearings in them. are there any common mistakes that I may have made?

Any help is greatly appreicated.

did you tighten the spindle nut properly before putting on the caliper and pads? guessing from what you said, sounds like your rotors are very loose. you need to make sure(if you installed the bearings right) to seat the rotor on the spindle all the way. then install the outer bearing. then spend some time tightning the nut so the rotor spins with a touch of resistance. you will know if the rotor is seated right, when the rotor face is flush with the caliper anchor.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

also, be sure to replace the cotter pin with a new one on the castle nut (spindle nut) so it doesn't back off and drop the hub for you.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well I watched a video on Youtube and realized that I had not removed/reinstalled the inner bearing from the rotor. So I removed the rotor and there was no extreme damage to the components so I repacked the bearings and put it all back together. Funny enough it took longer to break everything than to do it right.

Comment

lol. now you know how to do brakes. not everyone is a master tech, so dont sweat it.

Comment

Yeah my brother who used to work at a Honda dealership had never seen anything like that setup before, and I noticed on a video where they did one on an 04 they didn't have a hub/rotor hybrid.

Comment

by '92, the old bearings disapeared and everything had a one piece wheel bearing. i like the old school set-up cause, the bearings are cheap.

Comment

Working...
              X