U-joint/endlinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-joint/endlinks

Hey all, I need new front driveshaft universal joints...was looking at rockauto and noticed precision and ACdelco brands, greasable and non-greasable. I was thinking about getting the heavy duty non-greasable, and was wondering which brand was better?

Also was looking at raybestos brand professional grade endlinks with the poly bushings.

Any advice???
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

IMO, don't fuck around with something you can't grease.

U joints are cheap enough imo that you aren't gonna save much getting it from RockAuto...just get something at the parts store that's greaseable and warrantied.

If you're buying on RockAuto, MOOG makes all of the stuff you're looking to replace. MOOG K6629 for the end links.
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I really don't trust parts store stuff for this kind of job really.. and i'm getting a bunch of other things from rockauto and will hopefully save on shipping. the original non-greasable u-joint lasted 30 years 118K just out of curiosity why would you go with greaseable? What are the advantages?
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

ahh, gotcha. That's how I get most of my stuff from RA - Combining shipping. good call there.

Reason for greasable vs non = lifetime of the part, as far as I know. The parts store here usually has like a 30 day return policy for tie rods, ball joints etc that are not serviceable. The ones with grease fittings have lifetime warranties.

It will be a few extra grease fittings to hit when you service the car but I'd much rather crawl underneath and pump a grease gun a couple of times every few months than drop the driveshaft and replace the joints even once.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Gotcha.

Also the extension housing seal comes in "booted" and non-booted" They appear to have different widths. which one do i need???
          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

a lot of times you can't get in there to grease the joint anyway. greasing stuff can actually shorten the life if you don't clean it up before greasing. If you shove dirt and crap into the joint, it will die quicker than just leaving it alone.

The original rear seal style is booted. It has a cone-like thing that sticks out of the back of it as a dust seal. You probably want that since it helps make the seal last longer, but its possible that the police cars may not have gotten it because of larger yokes or something. Have a look under there, if the rear seal has a 3/4" or so long boot sticking out of the back, get one that matches it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I prefer not greasable. They are usually stronger.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I am getting the non-greasable...

the ext housing seal does not have a boot, however the sizes for booted and non-booted are the same, and i can save on shipping if i get the booted so i think i will go with that.
                Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM.
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X