I'm an Idiot and Killed my Rear Air Shocks in the 91 Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an Idiot and Killed my Rear Air Shocks in the 91 Wagon

Car: 91 Colony Park/Grand Marquis LS w/factory rear air shocks.

Back during the summer I had to replace my fuel pump. Dropped tank, and it's now fine.

Problem - the aftermarket air shocks installed in the rear had a line that was zip tied to the tank away from the exhaust. Unfortunately, I was a moron and forgot to put the line back in place. So since June, my shocks have been loosing hydraulic oil as the line melted on the exhaust and wicked out the oil.

Since I now need to replace them, can I possibly buy aftermarket rear shocks, and tie the shocks into the factory air suspension pump and lines? That way no lines hit exhaust, and I don't have to maintain 25PSI in them with my bike pump at minimum because the car will keep the ride height correct. Factory air shocks look expensive!

Or since I am not doing any towing with this thing for at least another year, should I look into just regular shocks and skip air suspension.

Or repair the line, replace the air shocks, and find a way that's easier to maintain pressure that doesn't involve me getting a gauge and a bicycle tire pump out?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Yes. Standard aftermarket air shocks and you need an $8 brass tee that ties the small aftermarket shock air line into the factory line. You need to tie it into the line going forward to the pump. The crossover line you can just remove. Monroe part number AK14. Most any parts store should be able to order this, or Rockauto has it listed in stock.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

One idea is go with load leveler spring shocks. I have them and I like them. I did find some Nos Lincoln Towncar air shocks on Ebay. You will be shocked at the price though, $300 set. Ford Part # is E8AC-18K077-CA .

Comment

Ok cool so I can use them.

Are the Motorcraft shocks any better or worse than aftermarket? Do they have a propencity to blow out? And does the air pump up front have serviceable rubber bushings (mine are deteriorated). Looks like Monroe owns the air shock market (not my favorite company, haven't had good experience with them on Taurus struts and strut mounts).

mainmantom - I'll have to read up on load leveler spring shocks...interesting. Saw the NOS air shocks on eBay. I can get a Motorcraft set for $100 shipped at the moment, eBay pricing is a bit up there, someone will bite eventually.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

Comment

I wouldn't ever pay 300 for old stock shocks. They're probably at least 20 years old now, and the rubber parts go bad from age about as much as from use.

New Motorcraft shocks won't tie in the air compressor unless they happen to be air shocks. The only ones likely to be are the original part. Ford stopped using this system when they stopped building boxes. Gabriel also used to make air shocks, the old Hi-Jacker, but basically you get them or Monroe for options. Another thought is to use regular shocks and the load leveler assist bags that go inside the coil spring. I really see no reason why that wouldn't work exactly like the stock setup and give you a huge range of shock absorber options.

compressor bushings are replaceable. I think you can use the same ones later Towncars use to mount their compressors. If not, you can probably come up with something at the hardware store that would be better than the dead ones.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The load leveler air bags that fit inside the springs are good. I have had them in two cars. Airlift makes them. Mine had the Lifetime warranty. I bought mine from JC Whitney in the 80's. Just don't over inflate them and use the heat shield that comes with the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I wouldn't ever pay 300 for old stock shocks. They're probably at least 20 years old now, and the rubber parts go bad from age about as much as from use.

New Motorcraft shocks won't tie in the air compressor unless they happen to be air shocks. The only ones likely to be are the original part. Ford stopped using this system when they stopped building boxes. Gabriel also used to make air shocks, the old Hi-Jacker, but basically you get them or Monroe for options. Another thought is to use regular shocks and the load leveler assist bags that go inside the coil spring. I really see no reason why that wouldn't work exactly like the stock setup and give you a huge range of shock absorber options.

compressor bushings are replaceable. I think you can use the same ones later Towncars use to mount their compressors. If not, you can probably come up with something at the hardware store that would be better than the dead ones.
              I can get new Motorcraft w/load leveling for $100. Or the non-load leveling for less than $100.

Well I have options to mull over and think on how to approach - so once I finish working on the three vehicles ahead of it, I'll get to the shock absorbers. Hoping I can get them replaced before Christmas.
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
              X