annoying whine (power steering maybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

annoying whine (power steering maybe)

Ok So I have a whine that comes from the front. It appears to be power steering related. I don't know. I do notice the the whin syncs up its tone with the idle and as the car accelerates. I haven't tried cutting the feed hose to the power steering (kinda leery about it), but I have siphoned out power steering fluid with a turkey baseter and put in ATF. It is still doing it and is as annoying as ever!!!!!

Should I say the heck with it and flush out the fluid by cutting the feed hose, or could it be somethign more complicated than that?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

what kind of ATF did you use, ATF type F? also with the engine running use a big piece of hose to listen to all the accessories, the bearings could be going bad on one of them. Sound can bounce off things making it sound like it's coming from somewhere it's not.

Also you don't have to cut the feed hose to flush it...with the engine off just take the low pressure return line off. Make sure the accessory belt is off, and the hose is in a container, then turn the pump by hand, occasionally adding new fluid to the reservoir as needed. Be sure to use ATF type F or you could get a noisy pump..
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Ive had 2 p/s pumps whine, still does. I heard older Fords were bad for it.
      1991 Grand Marquis LoPo 5.0

Comment

They get noisy if they are low on fluid.
        Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
        Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
        Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
        Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

+1 on the type of fluid. The "store bought power steering fluid" may be too thin. Go with the Type F fluid and see what happens.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Ford power steering.. go loud or go home. lol on a side note i had the same. try putting a bit more actual steering fluid in. might be worth flushing with new maybe one with a mild additive for the seals. i just topped mine a bit over the full mark with actual steering fluid that had an additive and my noise went away
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I second the "low on power steering fluid" opinion. My car has a deathly whine when it is even an inch from being completely full of Type F. Hope it is as simple as that!
              1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX

Comment

Originally posted by cherniydiavel View Post
                I second the "low on power steering fluid" opinion. My car has a deathly whine when it is even an inch from being completely full of Type F. Hope it is as simple as that!
                agreed 100%. mine was just below and i put mine a hair over full with like 1/3 a quart of of prestone fluid and it went away in a matter of a drive home
                Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I could tell mine was low one day when pulling out of the driveway. Apparently a small dribble will drain the fluid enough that it makes a difference. I've since topped it off and tightened the return hose. No more issues.
                  Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                  Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                  Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                  Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

So since the obvious suggestions have been made, has anyone considered installing ejector seats to remove the whining problem from the car at speed ?
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i vote trunk mounted minigun personally. that way you wont know where its coming from. the minigun spooling up or the power steering.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        So since the obvious suggestions have been made, has anyone considered installing ejector seats to remove the whining problem from the car at speed ?
                        .....I had an "annoying whine " once....then I got a divorce.......

Comment

Remember it takes six men to carry a guy to his grave and only one woman to put him there!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Or one good woman to keep him out of the grave... for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                              Or one good woman to keep him out of the grave... for a while
                              Agreed!!

Comment

Working...
                              X