Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brake lights stop working, they keep blowing the fuse an rear flashers dont work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake lights stop working, they keep blowing the fuse an rear flashers dont work

this is in the tudor. Brake lights keep blowing the fuse and they stop working. Also the rear flashers are not working and my blinker broke (the could be the problem causing a short) but anyone else now wat it could be.
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

most common problem is the ground wire. it is in the trunk driver side almost under the driver tail light. i have had issues with this before on Baby and on the grand marquis. it is a single wire screwed into the metal to ground it. if the ground fails it will cause the taillights not to werk. if it is a bad connection it wil cause the 3rd brake light to be on when lights are turned on and make 3rd brake light to flash with the signals. i would check the ground wire and add a piece of wire to make a better ground somplace else in the trunk.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

but it blowing the fuse? It just sounds like a bare wire that is grounding somewhere.

Comment

In addition to the above, check the wiring at the brake light switch.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

check the ground to be safe but it does sound like the positive side of the circuit is gounding somewhere it should be. the bad part is that youd have to follow the wire to the fuse box and make sure none of it is exposed.

Comment

Do you put stuff in the trunk a lot? Or something? I'm just tossing out ideas. You may have unintentionally stripped the wire somehow and that's why the lights aren't working

Comment

well i fixed it turned out that my blinker switch broke into metal pieces and was shorting out my system i first did check the grounds but found nothing and than checked some wires to see if it was grounding and than yanked the blinker/hazard assembly off and found my problem so i just took the one off the 83 and thru it on here
              sigpic
              1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Working...
              X