Twitchy Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twitchy Tach

Does anyone know what would cause my Tach to do this?

I'm guessing a loose ground wire but I had read somewhere that if you wire the Tach into the MSD box(which I have one) that this can cause problems with the Tach. My uncle says that he did wire the Tach into the MSD box when putting it together...so I'm guessing this could be the problem..yes/no?
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Looks like a bad connection. Plugging it into the msd shouldn't hurt anything, but if the connection isn't good it'll flutter around.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did he use the tach output or the coil output on the MSD? Do you still have all your gauges grounded at one location? If so, ground the tach directly to a known good ground.

Comment

Here's the source of the Twitchy tach...it's getting so twitchy it looks like a propeller.

should I just ground this wire to ay good spot or should I ground it with the coil?
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Thats not the ground wire. Thats the tach output wire. The ground on the tach is the black lead.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oh yea.

I guess I could just splice it onto the coil wire like my old one was right?
            any other wires I can tap into with it? there are some coming off the disty.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

You can, but it probably won't fix it if the ground wire is the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X