Automatic headlights dont work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic headlights dont work

My head light dimmer switch for on coming traffic does not work. ok sometimes it works but for the most part it doesnt. i have no idea where to even start on fixing it i was hoping someone has a idea. The lights should normally dim to on commimg traffic, when the car is turned on at night the lights should automatically come on, and the lights should stay on for a short time after the cars turned off they do non of the above. i have to turn them oin manually and then jump my car later cause i forgot they where on.

1988 lincoln TCSS 215000 miles

Well now, there are a couple of things that could be causing this, first, let's check to see if the automatic lights are switched to on mode, also, there should be a slider for the autodim on the headlight switch as well.
    There should also be a fuse for the automatic headlights and autodim features, make sure that fuse is good.

If not that, then it might be the day night sensor, located under the dash pad has failed.

Comment

are you talking the automatic high beam dimmer? Have you tried increasing the sensitivity of the control? Its one of those rings around the headlight switch. If that doesn't help, pull the sensor off the mirror and clean the lens, and clean the windshield in front of it. Any dirt on there will mess with the performance.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        are you talking the automatic high beam dimmer? Have you tried increasing the sensitivity of the control? Its one of those rings around the headlight switch. If that doesn't help, pull the sensor off the mirror and clean the lens, and clean the windshield in front of it. Any dirt on there will mess with the performance.
        He's talking about the auto lamps as well. Don't they share a fuse in the panel?

Comment

not sure, but if its working somewhat the fuse wouldn't be the problem. If those rings got rotated, that will cause problems tho.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The fuse is fine, but this day/night sensor you say is under the dash pad ive never heard of that do you know where exactly the sensor is. the lens under the mirror is fine, now with the manual headlamp switch is there anything there that i should check electrically i have everything set where it should be but it works when she wants to dimming the lights but for the auto delay for when you get out of the car the lights should stay on for a temporary time that doesnt work either. By the way this site is cool i have had my car since i was 16 its also myfirst and i thought i was the only one who cared about it. thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by taylorendicott View Post
              The fuse is fine, but this day/night sensor you say is under the dash pad ive never heard of that do you know where exactly the sensor is. the lens under the mirror is fine, now with the manual headlamp switch is there anything there that i should check electrically i have everything set where it should be but it works when she wants to dimming the lights but for the auto delay for when you get out of the car the lights should stay on for a temporary time that doesnt work either. By the way this site is cool i have had my car since i was 16 its also myfirst and i thought i was the only one who cared about it. thanks for your help.
              The day night sensor is right under the dash pad. You can actually see it. If you look at your dash you should see a little grille on the driver's side of the car. It's a little next to the speaker. It's right under there. It's black with a lense, with a piece of blue glass over the lense.

Auto delay works with the auto lamps, it's on the same circuit. That's on the switch. I'm wondering if your headlight switch is shot. Easy enough to check, the Town Cars supposedly have 4 screws to remove and then you can take the headlight switch out. Inspect the harnesses for melting, burnt wires or anything that might indicate failure.

This site is awesome, and we have many people on here who can help you with pretty much anything you need help on with your Towny.

Comment

A little delayed but I got the heads light delay working it wasn't plugged in. Now the problem I have is that the headlight dimmer switch won't dime the lights, any ideas on how to check that sensor to see what's bad...

Comment

make sure it and the glass in front are clean. You can verify basic function by shining a flashlight into the sensor. If it dims, its probably a dirt problem. You might also try unplugging and re-connecting the sensor. If its a dirt issue, you may be able to get results by very carefully popping the sensor open after removing it from the mirror. Clean the inside of the lens with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol, and clean the little sensor thing behind the lens with the same. Don't scrub too hard on it though, they can become stupidly sensitive and then it will flip from high to low way too often.

Comment

Cool thanks again, it the sensor hard to pop open?

Comment

No, just very carefully pry around the edges. It might actually break the little plastic catches that hold it together, so be as careful as you can. If the thing does break apart, you can tape it back together or something, but it needs to be fully shut to get the sensor oriented properly behind the lens.

Comment

Is there a switch in thesteering column for the headlights that attaches to the dimmer switch that could b messed up. Sometime I think I hear it click but nothing happens

Comment

there is a relay in the system, but it gets it's ground through that sensor hanging under the rearview mirror. If the lights stay bright and do not dim, its either the sensor not registering light, or the control set all the way the wrong way. If the brights come on and stay on only while you hold the stalk, its a problem with the circuit that goes through that sensor. Either way, I'd still suggest starting with the sensor. Might have some luck just unplugging and re-connecting it. Possible the connector has crudded up and its not working just right.

Comment

Working...
                          X