Turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals

a buddy of mine has a 1988 town car his turn signals don't work.....nor do the reverse lights......we have changed all the bulbs...checked all the sockets there getting power....we've changed the turn signal switch in the steering column the flasher unit and the fuses....i don't kno what else to try any ideas?
    My old 87 Mercury Grand Marquis-RIP- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3016650
    Now Driving A
    1999 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 V8 its also AWD..... Atleast I'm keeping it in the Mercury family right?

ground?
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Hi Wray-Wray

Check for power on fuse 5 it supplies both the turn signals and back-up lights, fuse 5 is powered from the ignition switch Grey/Yellow wire.

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
        Hi Wray-Wray

Check for power on fuse 5 it supplies both the turn signals and back-up lights, fuse 5 is powered from the ignition switch Grey/Yellow wire.

Regards

Dereck
        the fuse is a #15 right?
        Now Driving A
        1999 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 V8 its also AWD..... Atleast I'm keeping it in the Mercury family right?

Comment

Originally posted by Wray-Wray View Post
          a buddy of mine has a 1988 town car his turn signals don't work.....nor do the reverse lights......we have changed all the bulbs...checked all the sockets there getting power....we've changed the turn signal switch in the steering column the flasher unit and the fuses....i don't kno what else to try any ideas?
          When you say that the sockets have power do you mean you put a test light on the hot sides of the sockets while the blinker switch was on, and your test light flashed?

Do the brake lights work?

Do the front blinkers work?

Make sure that you have +12v at every affected socket. Make sure the ground is good.

Then work backwards from there.
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
            When you say that the sockets have power do you mean you put a test light on the hot sides of the sockets while the blinker switch was on, and your test light flashed?

Do the brake lights work?

Do the front blinkers work?

Make sure that you have +12v at every affected socket. Make sure the ground is good.

Then work backwards from there.
            the front signals don't work either.....the brake lights work...but if you hold the brake down and turn...say the left blinker on hate left tail light turns off......it gets power but no flash??...
            Now Driving A

Comment

the fuse is a #15 right?
              15 amp, yes.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                15 amp, yes.
                k thanx
                Now Driving A

Comment

the front signals don't work either.....the brake lights work...but if you hold the brake down and turn...say the left blinker on hate left tail light turns off......it gets power but no flash??...
                  I must be reading that wrong ... that sounds like just a burned-out light bulb.

Re the reverse lights, is there power at the little 4-prong connector that goes to the neutral safety switch?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    I must be reading that wrong ... that sounds like just a burned-out light bulb.

Re the reverse lights, is there power at the little 4-prong connector that goes to the neutral safety switch?
                    naw i replaced all the bulbs
                    Now Driving A

Comment

Pull out the trunk covering by the tail lights and inspect the grounds. Take them off and clean them. Rust likes to form around the ground and cause all kinds of wacky shit.

This sounds like a ground issue, I'd also check the grounds up front by the header panel.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

these cars act weird with bad grounds... my brake lights wouldnt work and when i used the turn signals, the 3rd brake light would flash instead... the grounds are attached behind the carpet in trunk by where you install the lights... cant miss it since it is a wire that is screwed into the body right there... i added length to my ground wires and attached them to the striker that holds the trunk down instead of dealing with the rust and crap that the screws cause going into body.
                        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

That reminds me, is there normally some sort of diode isolating the brake-light circuit? Just thought of that, since I have a third brake light that flashes with the hazard flashers ... I have been assuming it was an intentional modification by a previous owner, but I suppose it could just as easily be a malfunction. I like having the extra attention-getting-ness with the hazards on, but they quit flashing when I apply the brake.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            That reminds me, is there normally some sort of diode isolating the brake-light circuit? Just thought of that, since I have a third brake light that flashes with the hazard flashers ... I have been assuming it was an intentional modification by a previous owner, but I suppose it could just as easily be a malfunction. I like having the extra attention-getting-ness with the hazards on, but they quit flashing when I apply the brake.

check your ground wires mang... i used my flashers the other day pulling a car.. with brakes applied, hazards still worked and 3rd light not really supposed to flash either unless you are making it flash by the use of brake pedal
                            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Now, I *had* assumed that a bad ground *ought* to just lead to one or another light simply not working .... there *should* be nothing connected to the ground side of any bulb other than its ground wire .... and supposing a ground was bad and a theoretical joint ground wire were trying to apply voltage to the wrong side of another socket, it shouldn't do anything because the other side of said other socket shouldn't be attached to anything when the circuit is open ..............

Comment

Working...
                              X