Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator help?

Hello all, I have a bit of an issue.

Today i changed the power steering pump in my lincoln, and had to take the alternator off to get at it.
    Anywho, when I put it back together, there were 2 wires that I dont know where they go.
    They look round and one is an orangish color, and the other is black.
    I put them on where i thought they went, but my "amp" light is still on.

Any help would be appreciated
    -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
    -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
    -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

F and S should be the thin wires. Look on the voltage regulator on the fender and see which color goes to which terminal. The fat wire goes to the output stud, I don't think that has any label. F and S will run from the regulator to the alternator, same color on both ends.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I cant really tell what color the wires are, they all have a yellowish/dirt look to them.

Could anyone take a pic of their alternator for me?

Comment

Maybe this could help

Comment

One of those studs is labelled F, one is labelled S. The letters are cast into the alternator case. They will be next to the studs with the plastic insulators around them. The others are ground, and you don't use those. Need to wipe off the wires and figure out what color they are. According to my 86 book (it may be different), the white/black goes to S, the orange/light blue goes to F.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Turns out I did have the wires on right. The voltage regulator was bad. Replaced it this morning, now everythings fine.

Thanks for your help though.

Comment

I made a new thread with just my three wiring diagrams. Someone ought to sticky it.

Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
              X