Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator/charging problems

Hi and hello,

since a few days i got some problems with the wagon and the charging system.

it starts when i was driving in the city, the "amp" light has come on for a few times (approx 3 x) and then it was glowing all the time i was driving, so the battery gets lower and lower...

i parked the car for a few days and started it again... the amp light was dark and the battery get its charging amps...
    it was ok for a week or so, then suddenly the light comes on again... no charging of the battery...

the output stud on the alternator has only the battery voltage...

but: if i unplug the regulator plug, the alternator runs free... if i put the plug back in, the alternator get its field, the engine runs a bit lower and the alternator gets really hot but the output stud shows no voltage except the battery voltage (about 11.8 volts, battery uncharged)...

is the alternator damaged or is it only the regulator?

or can it be a wiring issue? the fusible links are all in good condition...

thanks for your help

chris
    Living in a Box

I'd bet on a failed rectifier. You should be able to have the alternator tested. Not sure how things are over there, but we can have it done in many auto parts stores. You should be able to have it checked at a shop or something.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gadged, your right, itīs the rectifier.
      I changed the regulator but nothing happend

now another question:
      does a alternator from a 95er Windstar 3,0 liter fit in the brackets of my Wagon? (its much easier here to buy this type of alternator instead of any other us-ford product)

thanks
      chris
      Living in a Box

Comment

yes i do believe the windstar 3.0 is the small frame 3ag

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks for your help.

after i put in the new alternator (itīs a 3g for a 3,0 Windstar) and do all the cable work, i noticed, that the old charging cables are melt (but the isolation was ok) very wired...

But now iīve got a brand new 3g alternator and a new 88Ah battery in the car, wow, it starts right up and now iīve got really bright headlights (i changed the headlight wiring before i do the 3g swap.)

BUT...

i had to bolt on the old loading harness (the black orange cables) back to the starter solenoid, otherwise the car has no voltage in its electrical system... no door lamps/headlights... nothing... so i bolted the old harness (itīs just the harness that goes to the plug on the drivers side fender) and the car has itīs voltage back...
          is this normal or does i have a "self made modification" in the electrical system?
          Living in a Box

Comment

Some cars seem to tap power off the old alternator harness for other stuff, some do not. I think it depends on the year of the car. My 86 has that stuff totally unhooked, but I've seen more than one case where everything went dead if that was unhooked. I'd probably just unplug or cut the old charge wires at the plug near the washer bottle and let it be. Just be sure to seal up any bare ends so they can't short out.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yes what thain said....i was unable to abandon that harness on a few cars that i have done a 3ag conversion on

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks thanks thanks

so i did it like gadget says and all things went right

now iīve got a 3g converted car and anything that needs power worked better as ever before
                Living in a Box

Comment

Originally posted by Chris84 View Post
                  thanks thanks thanks

so i did it like gadget says and all things went right
                  If more people around here did like gadget says, they'd have lots fewer problems with their cars.

I too had to leave the charging harness hooked to the starter relay.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                    If more people around here did like gadget says, they'd have lots fewer problems with their cars.

nah, the problems would just be a lot more bizzare and self-inflicted lol

Comment

Working...
                    X