Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum lines falling apart

Hi everyone!

The engine vacuum lines of my 89 LTD crown vic are starting to fall apart. I guess its due to chronic heat damage: I touch them - they break. Since they must be important for something, and since repairing them isn't very easy nor funny (and probably not effective at all), I started looking for replacement ones. To my great surprise, no one seems to sell any for this specific application (at least not on the internet).
    Does anyone know where to get some? What are the required specs for these lines (in case I should have to custom fit them)?

Thanks for Your help!

Almost certain you'll have to just make new ones. Plain rubber vacuum hose is cheap and reliable, and easy to work with - especially since a lot of places you can buy it in bulk so you don't have lots of small lengths left over. You can also buy coils of thin-wall plastic vacuum line similar to the original stuff and buy little rubber ends for it separately, but the results of my experiment with that approach seemed to indicate that the ends tend to be very short-lived.

You could always use something like colored electrical tape at each end of a given hose if you want to try to keep the factory color coding.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Bulk vacuum line is your friend. There are no pre-made ones, you'll just have to wing it with rubber line.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Strange that there is no specific replacement, especially as Ford has these connectors at the end of each line...

Comment

Is there a way to tape vacuum lines or something? I have one break (totally in half) of the line to my soup can, and electrical tape and the like won't stick, even after cleaning the hell out of the line. I'd rather not go through all the stuff of running a new line, since all my other facuum lines look good.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I repaired mine with a heat-retractable electrical connector (itīs like a small tube, you put a lighter underneath it and it neatly shrinks around the vacuum line). Works fine, but I donīt know if there still is some vacuum in the hose.

Comment

Use a small piece of rubber vacuum hose as a connector. Need about 2". You can buy a roll of windshield washer tubing at the parts store and use it up. Think its 7/32 or something fairly small like that.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X