Speedometer Cable Burned by Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Cable Burned by Exhaust

Today I pulled the speedometer cable out since I had the dash down already. I was wondering why the speedometer needle was always so bouncy.

The spinning part inside of the cable spins freely but the outside is toast. I plan on trying to wrap the burned section of the cable with something. I don't know with what, but anything that'll save it or I may just end up pulling one. This happen to anyone else?

Edit: 'snap, I just notice this belongs in the Accessories, Detailing, and Interiors. Sorry. Please move.
    Last edited by 5.0turbines; 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM.

its fucked, you need a new cable. Once it starts bouncing, it means its binding internally and no amount of wrapping on the outside will fix that. I'd be more concerned about fixing the routing so the new cable doesn't melt.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hmm Interesting. I am gonna check mine out today.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Comment

there is a clip spot welded into the floor pan thats supposed to hold the speedo cable away from the exhaust. its common for them to break or rust and fall off.

couple Zip ties to the Frame and trans crossmember can help keep the cable located and AWAY from the exhaust.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
          X