No announcement yet.

Headlights - 83 GMQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're looking to upgrade to H4 headlights AND do the relay, Painless makes an upgrade kit. It may be the way to go if you're anal about keeping stuff clean or original underhood, or just not experienced with wiring.

Part# 1B13-30814 , at least on the YearOne site. 199 from them.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Painless makes good stuff... and they know it. Though for what they do i think their prices are reasonable. I'm good with connecting wires from point A to point B and having stuff work, but I'm not good at all with proper routing and length and Painless makes that... well... painless.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        none of the boxes have headlamp relays. Its a worthwhile upgrade. It also takes the load off the headlight and high beam switches so they'll pretty much never go bad.
        I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure I hear a relay clicking for mine, since I have the automatic headlights.
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

You are hearing the headlight switch when the lights come on, not a relay.
          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

the wiring diagram says that there's something called the "autolamp relay" in there, and I'm definitely hearing a relay click when the autolamps turn the headlights on.
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

yes, there is an autolamp relay, but it basically sits next to the headlamp switch, and does the same job as the headlight switch. The full current still pulls through many feet of wire and electrical connections from battery to relay to high beam switch and back to headlights. Its not exactly the same thing as a headlight relay setup, which cuts out a lot of wiring and takes the electrical load off the switches (and relay) in the car.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by pstrbrc View Post
                And, no, just pulling a headlight out and measuring the voltage at the socket won't tell you, because the volt meter won't tell you how much is being lost to resistance at the current level the headlights pull.
                That's why you would hook the volt meter up with the headlight plugged in...

Comment

Working...
                X