fuse box install, what did y'all do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuse box install, what did y'all do?

Debating how I'm going to wire in this fusebox. the actual install and all I'm fine with, but I'm debating how to do the fusing. I figure there are a couple options here

1) one fuse per fuse link
    2) one fuse per circuit (several circuits per link)
    3) some semi-arbitrary system that breaks circuits up how I see fit

any thoughts ?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Whatever had a fuse link on I replaced with an appropriate size fuse. 14 gauge fuse link is protecting a 10 gauge wire....fuse for what max amps a 10 gauge wire can withstand. Fuse link rule states using a fuse link 4 gauges smaller than the wire size you are looking to protect.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm going to have one fuse per link.
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

ok, I was looking at some other diagram and it lumped things together in a way that didn't make sense. Looking at the actual Ford wiring diagram, its already broken down in a mostly sensible way so I think I'll go with one fuse per fuse link method. it would certainly be easier. The other diagram I was looking at made it seem that one link did multiple circuits, but its actually multiple fuse links going to common eyelets on the relay post. Looks like I can use 2 of the relay sockets for my headlight relays too, and feed it off a nice maxi fuse.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah. I had a bunch of fuse links ending up on the same eyelets. I should post a picture of how my fuse box is laid out...may give you some ideas on how you would like yours wired up. I have a nice drawn up diagram in my car just in case something goes wonky on me.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            ok, I was looking at some other diagram and it lumped things together in a way that didn't make sense. Looking at the actual Ford wiring diagram, its already broken down in a mostly sensible way so I think I'll go with one fuse per fuse link method. it would certainly be easier. The other diagram I was looking at made it seem that one link did multiple circuits, but its actually multiple fuse links going to common eyelets on the relay post. Looks like I can use 2 of the relay sockets for my headlight relays too, and feed it off a nice maxi fuse.

I don't have anything else I need to relay since the horn etc has 'em already so I'm pondering whether or not to do one relay per lamp or one relay per high/low. Any thoughts? Would there be a benefit to the 4 separate relays?
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

bit less load per relay I guess wouldn't be a terrible thing. I may use one of those vacant spots as a relay for the front running lights or something, just to pull the load off the switch where it always burns up. If I ever add foglights, that will be relay #4, but I have my doubts about ever doing that.

Comment

sorry for the wait. I kept forgetting...and I just remembered and found some notes I had on her in a folder in my room. I think this is how my stuff is currently set up.

cb=circuit breaker

volt=voltmeter

secret=something secret

unknown=some wire that was unknown on my car but was fuse link protected
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 12-01-2010, 07:41 PM.
                ~David~

Comment

I used 1 relay and 1 fuse for the low beam and the same for the high beam, for a total of 2.
                  89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Working...
                  X