a/c oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a/c oil

89 grand marquis, i just installed the 3 new hoses & a new drier on the a/c .. i got a vacuum of 30 & it held for two & half hrs. is most of the oil still in the system since none came out anywhere? thanks

no. There is actually a chart in the factory service manual that says how much oil to replace depending what components you replaced. Quite a bit comes out with the drier. I don't have mine handy or I'd look it up for you. 89 is slightly different components than what my 86 has anyhow. Honestly I'd have fully flushed the system of all oil and replaced it just so it had a known quantity in there.

Also, R12 or R134? Different type of oil required.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks, i forgot to say it has r-12, which i am putting back in. another guy sent me the amounts but i wanted to verifiy. 4oz. in comp, 2 in evap. & 2 in cond.

Comment

How much did the new hose cost ya?
        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

mineral oil for r12........you do know r12 is really expensive?

ester oil for r134a

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

freeze-12 is much cheaper and not propane based... and according to the website... works the same at a little less pressure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

i think thats actually a mix of 134a and isobutane or something.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

considering they claim that it is non-flammable... I somewhat doubt that... but really... as long as the stuff works... they guarantee it to work as a direct replacement for r-12 and it's cheaper than r-12... why not? I know if my 93 vic ever needs work... I'll opt for that rather than converting it to 134a.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by DBANDGB View Post
                  thanks, i forgot to say it has r-12, which i am putting back in. another guy sent me the amounts but i wanted to verifiy. 4oz. in comp, 2 in evap. & 2 in cond.
                  That's what I always went by. I drained the compressor though, and flushed the condensor and evaporator.

Comment

Working...
                  X