what should vacuum be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should vacuum be?

Found a vacuum gauge in my tool box, what do you know. Not sure where/when/how I got it

Anyway, figure I'll hook it up and knowing the vacuum could help me diagnose my rough running rebuild.

What SHOULD vacuum be?
    If I misplaced a vacuum line or left one open, I presume vacuum would be weaker-- what sort of range would suggest a vacuum leak then?
    If I had a smoke machine, that would be best, but, I don't

Finally, more just curious. I looked, and indeed, sunpro sells a vacuum gauge to put in your car's dash. Probably not something I need regular input on though?
    Anyway, so it looks like they're really sold for people running boost, turbo/superchargers.
    Which got me thinking... when the engine sucks in air it creates a vacuum, which drives all sorts of things. But if a supercharger rams in air, it creates HIGHER pressure.
    Does this mean that if I ever supercharged my station wagon, with boost, I'd play holy hell with everything that depended on vacuum to run? Can boost be high enough to even override vacuum (keep in mind I have NO idea what numbers are normal for boost in psi, and what numbers are normal for vacuum. If normal vacuum is -40psi and boost not more than 10psi, then you end up I presume with -30psi going to all your vacuum lines...?) (maybe not that straightforward).

17-20 hg
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

It's occurred to me to wonder that about vacuum on a blown car too. Most cars seem to have idle vacuum between 10 and 20 inches of mercury (why in. Hg? Who knows?), and the blown car I saw a gauge in was a T-type making about 15psi boost. It was pretty goofy watching the gauge read first vacuum and then boost.

I would ASSUME that check valves in the vacuum lines, along with a good vacuum reservoir, would be sufficient for keeping normal vacuum accessories working when you're under boost.

As far as things like the MAP sensor, I have a couple of thoughts: one, that as a MAP sensor it'd have a rather different job to do once the engine management is reworked to deal with boots, and two, that on a MAF car the mass airflow meter would just sit and happily measure the volume of whatever air is sucked in. Probably a bit more complicated than that, though. Turbobuick.com might be one place to go reading about that sort of thing.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

17 inches or better. More is better.

The reason they use inches of mercury is because the first pressure gauges were literally a tube filled with mercury. The amount of vacuum was measured in how many inches up the tube the mercury column was. A more sensitive measure is inches of water, or inwc. Same principal, different fluid.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Under 17ish indicates some sort of issues. Instability(at idle) is also indicating an issue.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Thanks-- I'll see what it is tomorrow or Sunday. There's a definite possibility I missed something.
            Is the a way to make my own homemade smoke machine to see where it's leaking from, if the vacuum is suspiciously low?

Yeah, gadget beat me to it-- Hg is just historical. Same with the Fahrenheit scale for temperature; no guy sat down and decided to make 32 the freezing point and 212 the boiling point for water. Wikipedia has a neat little article on it; uses ammonium chloride salts which results in a lower freezing point (0F<0C) than just ice water, and then a horse's body temperature for 100F to set the spacing of the scale. Go figure.
            I still think Celsius makes more sense

Comment

still curious about boost and vacuum-using accessories and gauges.
              A turbocharged street car --just using light boost for fuel economy as much as for power-- will run with the turbocharger active for much of its cruising time I should think.
              But it might be that the boost is too light to overcome vacuum?

And those gauges that go from vacuum to boost, are for racing cars whose turbos are much bigger than some VW that came with one stock?

Comment

From my experience most turbo'd cars don't make boost below half throttle.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                  And those gauges that go from vacuum to boost, are for racing cars whose turbos are much bigger than some VW that came with one stock?
                  No idea what you're getting at there. The gauge I saw was an AutoMeter installed on an '87 Regal T type. Fun car.

Turbocharged cars make boost whenever the exhaust velocity is sufficient to spool up the particular turbosupercharger that's been installed. Logically, the circumstances under which this happens (throttle, RPM, etc.) should vary based on a handful of variables. If you're looking at designing your own turbo system at some point down the line (after you have an engine that makes good power NA, I would presume), you'll likely be wanting to take a great many things into account.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

for this car, no, I don't think I will... I'd need dish top pistons wouldn't I? Would I need to rebuild the guts of the engine, again?

But anyway, take a gauge like this:

It seems to suggest that running enough boost, you can overcome/override vacuum and actually go to positive pressure. Which means things running on vacuum now don't. Hech, a high pressure might actually fight your break booster (unless one-way check valves prevent that).

That's what I was curious about.
                    But that might only be an issue for very large amounts of boost. And I know the turbocharger(s?) on my volvo were not very large ones; boost probably never could overcome vacuum, and that gauge there would never swing into the positive/pressure range.

Comment

Now since vacuum is also just dependent on the engine's strength and rpm and all that, a low vacuum could also be a weak engine, not a vacuum leak.
                      If a single 1/4" hose is off, or dry-rotting apart, will it show up clearly in idle vacuum?

Comment

Out of a new engine with a not ridiculous lopey cam, I'd expect at least 20. If not you have vacuum leaks or timing issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X