No announcement yet.

Hign Mileage On Tripminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're moving and you're not using any gas, that's enough for the tripminder to calculate your fuel economy.

Comment

Look at your tripminder harness, then look at the VSS harness, you'll see a gray connector with 2 wires coming out of it. Your tripminder will have 3!

Comment

Got a spare harness but it only has 3 connectors (Power, Dimmer and I guess either VSS or Fuel) so can't tell yet what's up. Need to get under the dash to see what is in the car and I'll report back! Thanks so far for the info!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

This is the harness I have installed (tough to see the VSS/Fuel parts) so maybe someone can see if the wires are correct???

Click image for larger version

Name:	1987 Mercury Tripminder.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1268795

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

The one in the plastic/rubber thing is the vss and fuel flow wiring. That plugs into the wiring under the dash. The other one plugs into your cruise control servo, so you can still haz cruise control (standalone cruise control 83-87) The vss wires are green with white stripe (+), and black with white stripe (-). Fuel flow is in same connector BLUE WITH PURPLE STRIPE. You are most likely missing that wire in the connector under the dash...

Comment

What I will do is to separate the connectors and report the wire color combinations of the two trip harness connectors (just the ones by the E-brake) and the two that were already in the car. Then we can see what we have! Wonder if you can coonect the wrong conectors together or if they are "keyed" so you can't?????

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                What I will do is to separate the connectors and report the wire color combinations of the two trip harness connectors (just the ones by the E-brake) and the two that were already in the car. Then we can see what we have! Wonder if you can coonect the wrong conectors together or if they are "keyed" so you can't?????
                Y U NO LISTEN?

You have the right connectors under there, you're just missing the one wire for fuel flow. You have to run that wire from the pigtail on the computer harness, am I gonna have to call you and personally explain to you what needs to be done? :p

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  Y U NO LISTEN?

You have the right connectors under there, you're just missing the one wire for fuel flow. You have to run that wire from the pigtail on the computer harness, am I gonna have to call you and personally explain to you what needs to be done? :p
                  Probably! Are you saying "add" a wire or is it already there? Add it from where to where??

Comment

Alright. Go under the hood. Look on the drivers side of the firewall, behind the cruise control servo. That's the circular thing bolted to the inner fenderwell. Behind there is you computer plug. It has a 10mm bolt in it so you can't miss it. Coming from the main plug is a little pigtail with a single wire round black connector. This is your fuel flow wire. If the pigtail is not there, you will have to remove the connector from the computer and add the wire to pin 34 of the computer's harness. Regardless, you need to run that through the firewall to the female connector under the dash (the one you plugged the tripminder harness into). You should then have fuel flow.

Comment

Funny you should mention a black wire with a little round connector. There is one right behind where the trip gets mounted but it has a connector that appears to take a bulb (194?). Probably not talking about the same thing but just checking...I will check the info you gave me and THANKS! Bobby

Comment

Do some search plenty of info latest one wit ha lot of pics of what your looking for
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Yes, I do remember a thread about this, with photos, but it may have been an older car. Not sure if wire color/placement is the same in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                            Yes, I do remember a thread about this, with photos, but it may have been an older car. Not sure if wire color/placement is the same in mine.
                            It is the same. The black connector you're talking about is the light for the analog clock...
                            The black connector I'm talking about is under the hood...

Comment

Working...
                            X