3g small case vs. 3g large case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3g small case vs. 3g large case

I had a 3g small case in hand and decided to see what the 3g large case was all about. I went to visit the local alternator/starter rebuild shop.

The technician and the owner both said there is no diffrence in the internals or the size of the case. They pulled a large case off the shelf and we looked at both units side by side. The only difference between the two unit cases are the mounting ears. The large case has bigger ears. In fact the back half of the cases are interchangable. They said one fits a Tarus and the other fits a Mustang because of the ears, no other difference, both 130amps.

Perhaps most folks knew this already but I didn't and thought some other folks might need to know.

I am Going with the 3g upgrade from Pete, mcninetyone.
    Thanks Again Pete,

Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

need the bigger ears (re: bolt holes) for panthers.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly,

I have the one with the small ears. When I get the chance over the next few days I will try and fit it.

Incidentally I like that sound deadining stuff. The tranny whine is much more subdued now. I should have used two layers over the hump. Damn loud tranny.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

hmm... lemme rephrase... need the small spread between the holes, but the larger hole diameter (you may need to drill the mounting hole out on the bottom for the long bolt to fit through)... which I think is small case for all the folks that have the 2G alts and large case for the 100amp 1g alts. IIRC that is.

Yeah... the stuff is comparable to dynamat xtreme in a 3/2 ratio. 3 layers of the VMAX = 2 layers of dynamat xtreme (or so sayeth the interwebs).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Jay
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

bah... screw my memory... http://www.alternatorparts.com/Ford_3G.htm
            info there.

Comment

What is the standard alternators on 87 Grand Marquis and 95 GM? 2G/3G????

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

The technician and the owner both said there is no diffrence in the internals or the size of the case. They pulled a large case off the shelf and we looked at both units side by side. The only difference between the two unit cases are the mounting ears.
                With regards to the internals; Hmmm.... see attachment... Rotors interchange though.

Alex.
                Attached Files

Comment

well it seems I am wrong again. The guys in the alt shop did not know what they are talking about. They must have showed me two small case units with different mounting ear lengths. Perhaps some taurus cars have small case with big ears so the brackets will fit large case units? Though the site sly referenced is confusing. They show the mustang and taurus as having large case alternators. Also they say that the small case 3g is almost always 90amp and the guys at the alt shop and some folks here say the small case 3g is 130amp.

Jay
                  Last edited by jaywish; 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM.
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                  X