No announcement yet.

vacuum problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The oil stays in the engine. It's the vapors that are sucked from the crankcase and pass through the intake to be burned, and to reduce Crankcase pressure. That is a breather for the PCV system. The way the system is supposed to work is like this. The engine brings in air filered and metered (if Mass Air) to the throttle body. The hose hooked to the throttle body delivers fresh air to the crank case. This air is now sucked in through the PCV valve and burned in the engine.

Comment

Glad to hear you got the car running better and that you found your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by beastiezzz View Post
        Huh? Are you talking about the crankcase breather for the PCV valve? Do u think that could be causing the car to stall?
        I am having the very same issue.My 91 crown vic will run for 30 seconds then stall out.Will start right back up only to keep stalling out.I replaced the crankcase breather the old one was pretty clogged was able to fish it out with some needle nose plier's and replaced the pcv valve and vaccum line as well.Still stalling out I pulled the alternator and had it checked it's good.Had battery checked it's good.put in new IAC -idle air control.Cleaned throttle body.Checked for vaccum leaks.Changed fuel filter.Still it keeps stalling out.PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN SOLVE THIS MYSTERY??? AS I AM OUT OF IDEA"S

Comment

Have u reset the computer since installing the IAC? If not just disconnect the battery for a few minutes. That's what I did and the stalling went away. Also clean out the throttle body if you haven't already. I know that the computer resets the throttle adjustment but you can tighten up that screw 1/4 turn at a time and that might help bring the idle up. EGR might also be a good place to check next if nothing else works....

Comment

Originally posted by johnreid View Post
            I am having the very same issue.My 91 crown vic will run for 30 seconds then stall out.Will start right back up only to keep stalling out.I replaced the crankcase breather the old one was pretty clogged was able to fish it out with some needle nose plier's and replaced the pcv valve and vaccum line as well.Still stalling out I pulled the alternator and had it checked it's good.Had battery checked it's good.put in new IAC -idle air control.Cleaned throttle body.Checked for vaccum leaks.Changed fuel filter.Still it keeps stalling out.PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN SOLVE THIS MYSTERY??? AS I AM OUT OF IDEA"S
            For what it's worth, a new IAC doesn't mean shit. New parts are shitty, and OEM parts from ford have most likely been sitting on the shelf for 10-15 years. I've dealt with IACs new out of the box bad. Take an IAC from a junkyard car and it idles like a dream.

Also ignition timing is a factor. Make sure your timing is set correctly.

Comment

yea the aftermarket iac's are junk........i gotta remember to harvest some used ones

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Or maybe try disassembling the old one and cleaning it out. It did the trick for me.

Comment

Try cleaning the IAC AND the ports it bolts into. Worth a shot!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Thanks to you all I will definitly check the IAC and EGR Also will put a timing light on it and yes the throttle body was cleaned out good.Going to dissconect battery and see if it resets computor.Will do all this tomorrow 10/16/2012 and keep yall posted.MUCH THANK"S AGAIN.John

Comment

Well here is the latest up date the crownvic is running without stalling, I took all your advice and got a IAC at junk yard off same year same model.Cleaned egr , dissconected battery waited 20 min then reconnected battery.I noticed a line on carbon cannister was not connected so I connected it was the one that comes from tank.I also took off the vacumm line that attaches to the solonoid and plugged the line coming from under plenum.I figure since it was not connected in the first place what could it hurt. Car started right up and I let it run 10min at idle then drove her around town with no problems.What is the normal setting for the idle in rpm"s my idle is at 600 rpm's is that a little low?And thank's again for all your help you all are the best!!!!! JOHN in MUSCATINE, EASTERN IOWA.

Comment

Found the idle procedure over on corral.net

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So far still good to go it's 10/22/2012 and my 1991 crown victoria is still up and running just fine have had no more issues as far as I know she is fixed and reliable once again. I am just gonna say it again you all are the best.

Comment

Working...
                          X