Window motor or window regulator replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window motor or window regulator replacement

I'm sorry I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it so I figure I'll ask again. Anyway 3 of the 4 windows in my car stopped working and I plan on fixing them soon. But before I go ahead and swap out the motors, I was wondering if there was a way to be sure that it's not the regulators. The motor still turn but I figure a gear must be stripped. I know regulators don't usually fail too often but I wonder if there was any indicator that it's definitely the gears before I take all the door panels off.

sigpic

Its not the regulator. Its the bushings in the window motor gear drive. They tend to self distruct with age. With the motor out, they are stupid simple to replace. If your motor works, you can just buy the bushing kit.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Great, thanks for the help!

sigpic

Comment

The "gear sets" are avaolable locally or on EBAY for a reasonable price. As mentioned, they are usually the problem.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I usually replace those plastic bushings with three nuts. That solves the problem permanently!

Comment

I prefer 7/16 ball bearings, but yeah. permanent replacement.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

LOL every thread I've read on GMN about the power windows has sly saying "7/16 ball bearings"

Eventually the rest of us will catch on... eventually. Too late for me though, I already bought the cheapo bushings, but if they fuck up again, I know what to do.

Comment

yeah... you say cheapo... the bearings are like 40¢ each.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  I prefer 7/16 ball bearings, but yeah. permanent replacement.
                  I clean the grease and disintegrated bushings out and epoxy the 2 pieces together.

Comment

no shit? 40¢? I'll be damned,supply and demand.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                      Its not the regulator. Its the bushings in the window motor gear drive. They tend to self distruct with age. With the motor out, they are stupid simple to replace. If your motor works, you can just buy the bushing kit.
                      If you don't mind one more question, my 90 GM needs the same thing. Today I pulled the drivers door trim and I thought removing the regulator would be easy enough. After reading this thread I guess I need to go after the motor. According to my book I have to drill 2 or 3 1/2in holes to get the motor out. Is this how it's done, or am I reading this wrong. Any help appreciated.
                      thanks,

Comment

You will see three dimples in a triangular pattern. Drill the holes in the dimples and you can then get a socket with extension in there to remove the three bolts holding the motor.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          You will see three dimples in a triangular pattern. Drill the holes in the dimples and you can then get a socket with extension in there to remove the three bolts holding the motor.
                          Thanks, I'll do that.

Comment

Yea, what david said. Looks for the dimples. Then a 1/4'' drive socket set will do the trick. The bolts are 5/16.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                              Yea, what david said. Looks for the dimples. Then a 1/4'' drive socket set will do the trick. The bolts are 5/16.
                              I drilled the three holes, see the bolts, just one last question (hopefully), does removing the motor bolts let the motor come out without the regulator? Does pulling the regulator bring the motor with it, without the drilling, etc.?
                              I had to back up and put armrest on to use the car tomorrow so I haven't pulled anything as yet. btw, one of the door lock wire connectors broke off and took awhile to find a source for the connectors. This is the place that I found:

thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X