Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Content with keeping a stock radio until...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Content with keeping a stock radio until...........

The radio that comes with it works. It turns on and searches for a station (with no luck). The volme switch is torn off. So I wanted to swap it out with a radio from a 1986 and 1987 ford, Total different wiring harnessess. here's what I saw when I took it out

It looks to me that wire harness (the gray one going to the extreme corner) is for the speakers. I would like to change the radio but I haven't got a manual or anythign, can anyone help me figure this business out!!
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

That's the line level outputs for the amp in the trunk. Premium sound radio. Have you looked around in here? http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forumdis...rket-and-stock
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have looked through, it was a little helpful but still doesn't help.

So from the sound of it, it looks as the the speakers run from the factory amp, if I am getting another radio (cd player) I guess there woiuld be no need to use the factory amp

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

OK, what you have there is Premium Sound.

The Rectangle plug is what gives you power, ground, and illumination.

The Square plug is the input to the factory amp.

You have two options.
        1, With your new head unit, get the proper harness for behind the dash and an "AMP BYPASS CABLE" this connects in the passenger side rear of the trunk to bypass the amp entirely.

2, Get an "amp integration harness" this uses your aftermarket radio RCA outputs.

Metra Product # 70-5510 is a Ford wire harness that fits Ford vehicles from 1986 - 2006

Personally I would go with #1 as most newer decks have as powerful an amp as the factory premium sound.
        Last edited by tjc78; 05-09-2013, 02:55 PM.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

The 88+ premium sound radios and the 86+ JBL radios had those connectors through the mid 1990s at least. If you want to just plug in a stock radio, find one of those and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

good to know, I will go aorund a junkyard and see if i can find a panther body late 80's thru mid 90's...if i luck out, thanks a lot guys!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
              good to know, I will go aorund a junkyard and see if i can find a panther body late 80's thru mid 90's...if i luck out, thanks a lot guys!
              Just be careful with how the radio mounts. Many of the early 90's cars had the radio bezel that just clips in. That will not work on your 89. You can tell if it has two holes on each side of the faceplate.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thanks!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Metra makes an adapter for those... I have one holding the Kenwood in the dash of my 88 right now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Your missing the jumper plug on the radio which will cause it not to get any sound/and or possibly stations. I have an extra one if you need it

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

if that is all it needs and fixes the problem, Matt is getting rep points from me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

that will be awesome, so im missing a jumper cable???

Well also my vol knob is pretty jacked up....well its gone!!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

They don't all need it, and actually most of them do not. The jumper was for models that could control a CD changer. Most just have that connector plug with nothing in it. Neat tidbit though, if you find a radio that has the jumper plug, and you happen to be handy with wiring, you can convert that to an aux input using a headphone jack of the type that completes the circuit when nothing is plugged in to it.

You can get compatible radios from Mark VII, Mark VIII and Thunderbirds as well, and probably anything else that had premium sound. You will have to fit the earlier style side brackets on to a later radio, but its nothing a couple of short sheetmetal screws can't take care of.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought they needed it according to what paul protos told me. The jbl headunits were the same as the premium sound ones for late 87-92 models. I know for a fact without the jumper in my radio i would get no sound. Once the jumper was put in i got sound. Early 87 radios had the older harness plugs except for the silver faced jbl radio which was styled like the older premium sound radios with the 4 button memory buttons. Inside that jumper plug actually is a plate of metal that the contacts all touch together on. No wires but the metal plate between the jumper plug is what contacts the radio plugs to close the circuit i believe.

those radios are known well for failing capacitors which also cause the radio to not recieve any fm stations.
                            Last edited by MattsLincoln; 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                            -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I can agree that the radios will NOT produce sounds if that jumper is not there, unless it has the optional cd player bs.

And is that how Paul got your AUX input to work with your Mark VII cd player Thain?

Comment

Working...
                              X