No announcement yet.

Slow idle on cold days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine must need a bit more work besides this, then - throttle response is sometimes good, sometimes not, and my 16 MPG in rural (not straight highway) driving has given way to 12 in the winter - approaching what my carb'd, chokeless Buick got with a bigger engine.

I have the idle set properly now, I think. When it works it feels like the right speed both cold and warm. I still haven't figured out why the choke only engages intermittently but it's been better the past few days. Hopefully I can find someone to work the pedal for me while I watch the mechanism.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria
    1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

If I just bought your car I'd just start by ripping the TB & EGR valve off and cleaning out all of the carbon chunkies and what not. Then I'd replace the throttle position sensor, choke-pull off mechanism and then lube all of the linkages. Replace fuel filter & run some injector cleaner through it and see what that does. That right there essentially made my car reliable. Before that it was stall city unless you adjusted the RPM to twice what Ford specified. Also, be sure that the vacuum hose routing is correct. I found that a few of my lines were mixed up. Once I corrected that I had a correctly working VOTM (Dashpot on drivers side throttle body) and much more predictable car. If that choke pull off mechanism and diaphragm are in bad shape those things wont work right. When vacuum is applied to the diaphragm it is supposed to "pull off" and disengage the choke mechanism but if there is a leak or the routing of the vacuum lines is wrong then that might not happen, leading to a sticky & high idle. That will cut MPG's. I lost a tad of throttle response off the line when I adjusted my car down to ~450rpm but the MPG's went up and it was easier to drive the car with the A/C on in stop & go traffic. That car also ate two compressors before I sold it. Don't know what would cause a car to continuously size a compressor, maybe not the right PAG oil?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Winter mix fuel doesn't help any. Bad oxygen sensors on these also make them suck more fuel. doesn't usually seem to affect anything other than mileage though. Vacuum leaks will make it eat fuel too.

These don't use PAG oil. They ran mineral oil with R12, or you use ester oil with a 134a conversion.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I paid a shop to convert and then throw a compressor and accumulator at it and it was fine for about a month the first time and then a week the second time. Maybe they did something wrong but they converted my Firebird three or four years ago and I haven't had any issues with that.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

Stocker, any updates?

Comment

Now the fast idle mechanism is back to intermittent. If I open the hood to look at it, it will always work. When I want to drive the car, it's hit or miss. Hasn't been a problem lately since it hasn't been all that cold.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

You probably need to replace the bits inside that hockey puck, sounds like that spring inside it is sticky or at least out of adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                  X