Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW TFI module crapped out after 10 days..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW TFI module crapped out after 10 days..

So here is the insanity for the weekend.

The TFI I bought from Oreillys lasted only 10 days. I had driven an hour each day for the past 10 days. 30 minutes or 10 miles each way to work and back home.
    The TFI module crapped out a couple of days ago and the car will not start. It cranks but does not start.

TODAY For S and Grins I replaced the Oreilly TFI module and put the bad Petronix Flamethrower TFI module back on and the car STARTED up. It did run with the miss again though.

I then put a NEW Duralast TFI module from AZ on and the car would NOT start.
    I then put on a NOS Motorcraft TFI module on and the car would NOT start.

I went back to the Petronix Flamethrower TFI module and the car STARTS but runs with the miss.
    The PIP sensor was replaced new in June 2014, a few months ago.

Any ideas as to what is going on with the distributor or TFI module?

I do have a Ford distributorbought off of Ebay that has new (as in one month old) PIP sensor, MSD dist cap and rotor, and Motorcraft TFI module I plan to swap in tomorrow.

The coil BTW is a new Motorcraft, put in a couple of days ago.

Many thanks again,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

I have had a PIP trigger die within a month. Also, very important to use some computer thermal grease for the back of the TFI. This helps protect it from its number one cause of death, heat.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Thank you Marquisman. I did use a thermal heat sink compound on the TFI modules. Today I used the Artic Silver 5 heat sink compound from Radio Shack. The guys at the Ford Bronco Club recommend using the AS 5 stuff that is made for computers, expensive but they say its worth it.
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

You're welcome. Yea, that's similar to what I use. Remember too, its not uncommon to buy crap parts in today's world.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I had an Accel one die after a month, but it was a day after the car overheated. The original on the Mark VII was replaced at something like 235k when I thought it was bad, but it was actually the PIP that fell apart. I still have it somewhere as a spare. The cheapo Napa module I put on the Towncar several years ago is working fine. I installed all with thermal paste, but otherwise made no special effort to make it do anything in particular.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What's a PIP sensor and where is it located?? That's something else I'd like to fiddle with on Ashley's TC.
            Thanks,
            Derek
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

it's the position indicator sensor inside the distributor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You should have a press if you're going to mess with the PIP. To get it out, you remove the distributor, drive the roll pin out of the distributor gear, press the gear off the shaft, then pull the shaft out. 2 screws I think holds it in, then you re-assemble making sure to get the hole in the gear lined up with the hole in the drive shaft so the pin goes back in. Or, you get a reman distributor. It can be done with a very carefully applied hammer and a wrench to drive the gear off, and a pipe to drive it back on but you risk damaging things if you slip or don't have it braced just so. I used the press at work when I rebuilt mine, took about 15 minutes with the right tools.

Something else to check if you're cooking modules is the battery voltage. if the alternator is over-charging, it might smoke the modules. It should be 13.5-14.5 with the engine running.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the info sly & gadget! After a day like today though I feel like I shouldn't go near my cars with tools in my hands ever again..

Comment

today I put in a new Delphi PIP sensor along with the new AZ TFI module. Car started up and I drove around the block. It was smooth and not missing. It was close to dark so I stopped while I was ahead.
                    I hope I have a few months of trouble free driving. I will post and let you know how it goes in a few days.

My thanks to the Usual Suspects and All again.
                    Last edited by stinkydogfilms; 11-23-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X