Turn signal problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal problems

I been having problems with my 88 Marquis turn signal lights. Sometimes it would work and some times it wouldn't. I has led so I know bulbs are good and flasher is good. Also changed to turn signal switch awhile ago but still nothing now it's not even working. So I pulled the owners manual out and it says the number 5 fuse is for the turn signal and corner light. Check for power at the number 5 fuse and nothing. Do any of y'all know where that wire comes from (the starting point) to check. I'm think it's a short to ground but really want to find the beginning of it to check it and cancel it out to run a new wire. Any advice would help thanks

All accessory/hot in run power goes through various wires in the ignition switch IIRC. The box ones are known for disintegrating. I've changed the one in my box once and the one in my aero twice.

Also... the power for all of that goes through fuse links at the starter solenoid on the fender.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yup, turn signals are key-on power only, which is done via the ignition switch. They are part of a whole group of accessories that receive juice together, two other items on the same switch circuit would be the heater/aircon blower motor and heck the entire engine electronics for that matter. IIRC the actual power splitting for all the accessories is done inside the fuse panel itself, but I'll look up the EVTM just in case tomorrow.

In the mean time, do the 4-ways work? They get power from a different place, trying them will rule out issues between the turn signal switch and the lights themselves.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Hmmmm.. Disclaimer: I have no clue here, only theory. Doesn't the flasher work by heating up due to current draw? It heats up, breaks the current, cools, cycle repeats. LED's don't draw much current, so I suspect that maybe if you change your thermal flasher to a digital one you might be good.

Edit: OP has no power at fuse. It helps when you read the entire post.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
          Yup, turn signals are key-on power only, which is done via the ignition switch. They are part of a whole group of accessories that receive juice together, two other items on the same switch circuit would be the heater/aircon blower motor and heck the entire engine electronics for that matter. IIRC the actual power splitting for all the accessories is done inside the fuse panel itself, but I'll look up the EVTM just in case tomorrow.

In the mean time, do the 4-ways work? They get power from a different place, trying them will rule out issues between the turn signal switch and the lights themselves.
          Yeah the emergency work just turn signal and reverse lights are out

Comment

So could it be that the actual fuse panel is fried some how that why I ain't getting power to that particular fuse. Also I think it is couse my battery to die if that helps

Comment

Now that u mentioned it my heater blower ain't working and that's the fuse number 9 right under the fuse 5 🤔🤔

Comment

Yeah brother, could be something melted on the back of the fuse panel that affects both of those fuses. Gotta pull it down to investigate what's going on, and that is one job that while not all that hard will most likely end up with some blood stains on the floor mats... Damn sharp sheetmetal edges on that dash, you usually don't see them coming till it's way too late.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Yeah brother, could be something melted on the back of the fuse panel that affects both of those fuses. Gotta pull it down to investigate what's going on, and that is one job that while not all that hard will most likely end up with some blood stains on the floor mats... Damn sharp sheetmetal edges on that dash, you usually don't see them coming till it's way too late.
                  Thanks for your and every ones help hope I get to meet sly do he can fix it 😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                    hope I get to meet sly do he can fix it ����

Comment

Good luck with that... I'll tell you what you need to do and watch you do it and give you pointers as needed. To this day I have not been able to actually get the fuse box free enough to do much other than replace the hazard flasher easier. That setup is a ROYAL F'N PITA.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        Good luck with that... I'll tell you what you need to do and watch you do it and give you pointers as needed. To this day I have not been able to actually get the fuse box free enough to do much other than replace the hazard flasher easier. That setup is a ROYAL F'N PITA.
                        Lol forgot to post he fix it turned out it was the ignition switch

Comment

How'd you end up figuring that out?
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Process of elimination. Start at the battery and go to the problem circuit. the next stop is the fuse links... they looked ok. In the boxes and aeros at least, all ACC and RUN power goes through the ignition switch. He was having issues with one of those circuits, and had an original switch. So when he came over, we pretty much started with that. When we took it out, it was separated on one end and the contacts weren't making at the very end. Replaced the switch and everything worked again.

Comment

Same on boxes, ign and acc circuits through the switch. Last time I had problems with turn signals on my car, it was also the ignition switch. The clue for me was the radio was cutting out at the same times the turn signals wouldn't work.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X