Vacuum Lines off the Vacuum Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum Lines off the Vacuum Tree

Whilst removing the brake booster, I discovered a plastic collar at the base of the steering column (next to the brake pedal) that had one line and one open port next to it. I did some searching and discovered a vacuum line with a screw jammed into it. Traced it back through the firewall and into the vacuum tree. Not sure what this line does, but I took the screw out and reconnected it to the open port on the plastic collar. Does any of you know what this plastic collar is and what purpose it serves. Thank You

I will upload a picture shortly....

It's not the auto parking brake release, is it?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Not sure, but when I get back from work, I will check the EVTM and see if that's it. THank you for directing me.

Comment

auto parking brake release. The valves are almost always bad, which is probably why someone plugged it many moons ago. What it usually serves to do is make a hissing noise under the dash. In theory its to pop the parking brake when you shift into gear though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          auto parking brake release. The valves are almost always bad, which is probably why someone plugged it many moons ago. What it usually serves to do is make a hissing noise under the dash. In theory its to pop the parking brake when you shift into gear though.
          The '87's was plugged when I got it. I could fix it, but I have no issue pulling the lever. The '97's remains functional.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

If it is beige/yellowish in color, that is the vacuum release for the parking brake. Put the screw back in the hose. =-)

Comment

My car had a golf tee plugging the line.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here are the pictures;

1st is the line from inside the engine bay, thin black line going into the firewall.
                2nd is the plugged line; just regular vacuum hose, not colored.
                3rd is the collar at the base of the steering column
                Click image for larger version

Name:	August 2017 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1282060Click image for larger version

Name:	August 2017 006.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1282061Click image for larger version

Name:	August 2017 007.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1282062

The line going into the firewall and the plugged line are the same; it just terminates in the footwell. I got home late last night; I hope to get home at a decent hour to look this up in the EVTM.
                Last edited by packman; 08-01-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

yup... that collar is the vaccum switch for the brake release.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X