ColorX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ColorX

I saw some Megauirs ColorX in the store yesterday...suposed to restore color...would it be worth using?

would it make the color not appear faded at all?
    just kinda make it a little deeper sorta?
    *this would be for my Merc*
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

The website says it's a polish/wax, very similar to 3m One-Step Cleaner Wax. It should help you some, but I'm weary of the all in one stuff. I'd say wash the car well, clay bar it, and then use either one you like. Another way to go is, after claying, use 3m swirl mark remover (light formula), 3m Imperial Glaze (hand or machine), and finish with 3m Perfect-it Paste wax. I've used the 3m One-Step, mainly for scratches between waxing, and it's good, but the last way will definitely give the deepest shine. Are you using any type of machine or all hand application?
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

It's a cleaner/wax, but better than their 'normal' red bottle cleaner/wax.

I would say it's effectiveness is similar to using Mirror Glaze #66

Since I know what you used last time to detail your car, I can tell you that colorX won't provide better results than what you had.
      -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
      My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
      Modifications
      Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

quit polishing that turd so much. youre gonna rub the paint off.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by boXman View Post
          Might be some good advice boXman. I can see some of the primer in certain spots on my box. Besides, no need to keep blinding me with the Magna all the way over here in Indiana.
          :nightrid:

Comment

Originally posted by boXman View Post
            I have red showing through my paint in more places than one.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
              I have red showing through my paint in more places than one.
              Man, you gotta quit running Ferraris off the roadcourse. Just give them a nudge with the chrome bumpers. Save the paint for the Mclarens :smirk:

Seriously, that does suck. Not so noticeable in black, but in your car or Collin's it must be pretty irksome. Collin, have you polished thru to primer yet?

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                Man, you gotta quit running Ferraris off the roadcourse. Just give them a nudge with the chrome bumpers. Save the paint for the Mclarens :smirk:
                LMFAO

Comment

ok Drock, thanx mang.
                  I was just curious about it...didnt know if it was something I could use in about 2 months instead of wax or whatnot.
                  thanx mang.
                  sigpic
                  1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I've always been curious how those work. Common sense says if you have primer showing through and you rub that stuff on and the primer magically disappears, the paint must be coming from another area.

So really it must be rubbing off particles of the surrounding paint and some how adhering them to the affected area.

If this is the way it worked, I guess it would effective for awhile but ultimately would thin out the other areas too.
                    2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
                    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
                    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
                    1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

When the paint gets real thin like that there's not so much you can do to save it other that just waxing and really no abrasives like scratch/swirl removers. You could always try some touch-up to slow the spread of primer.
                      sigpic
                      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

FYI I was going to go to a paint shop and have them scan (it's called chromography or something) the paint to be able to mix a custom match (I hardly expect the paint to be a match to the factory color after 20 years of wear and tear). Then I was going to paint by hand and use a lot of elbow grease to knock it back down with wetsanding, etc. Maybe something to consider if you have more time than money and it's not like it's the whole side of the car. The biggest area I have to contend with is ping pong ball size. I think Grandpa used to store his golf clubs on top of the hood or something.
                        2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
                        2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
                        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
                        1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

Working...
                        X