Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning underhood aluminum

Hi,

I want to get all that ugly oxidation off the aluminum, particularly the throttle body, EGR spacer, and most of all, the AC compressor equipment & lines.

What the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Dont get any aluminum wheel cleaner in the alternator... don't ask me why.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
      Dont get any aluminum wheel cleaner in the alternator... don't ask me why.
      Why? :p

Seriously, though- do you want a satin or polished finish? If just a basic cleanup is good, I'd think about taking some fine emery cloth over the oxidized surfaces and follow it up with some sort of clearcoat, maybe a clear engine or wheel paint, applied with a brush. If you want fancy, The Eastwood Company sells nice detail polishing kits for use with an electric die grinder. I definitely suggest removing parts that are easily removed (upper intake assembly, for example) since it'll be easier to work with and you can spray the clear instead of brushing without having to mask up to the wazoo. The A/C and power steering brackets will probably have to come off to scrape the gunk off them (my p/s bracket I just glassbeaded and reinstalled, but again, applying a clearcoat would have been nicer) - you'll want to get to AutoZone and rent a pulley puller for that operation, but it's a good excuse to detail your pulleys.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yeah what does work ? i've been cleaning under the hood on the camaro and for the intake i've been hitting it with fine sandpaper and then rubbing it out with duragloss(gold can). kinda works but will take forever. gotta be a better way.
        s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
        "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
        "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
        ----outlaw josey wales
        (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Comment

Maybe you need to start with a more aggressive grit? When you're polishing an intake manifold, for example, you usually start with coarse sanding rolls lubricated with a grinding compound. Takes forever but you'll get good results if you're patient enough. Of course, if you're lazy like me you just glassbead the part and paint it and call it good. :p
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

it aint easy
            Attached Files
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

very nice.
              is that the windshield washer cap or coolant tank cap missing?
              s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
              "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
              "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
              ----outlaw josey wales
              (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Comment

Originally posted by brokebill View Post
                very nice.
                is that the windshield washer cap or coolant tank cap missing?

coolant tank
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

purple power and a toothbrush

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

remove it, sandblast it, paint it, re-install. aluminum corrodes, if left un-painted or at least sealed with clearcoat, it just gets crappy looking again in short order.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just got an Eastwood Catalog the other day and they sell tons of underhood detailing stuff. They sell Diamond Clear Satin Aerosol for Bare Metal which goes over bare aluminum to protect it while leaving an unfinished appearance, and then there's polishes, restorers, and wax-like treatments like Zoop. You should check their site out and see what might work for you.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic
                      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Easiest way is to remove it all. Then it's cake to clean and clear.

[ATTACH]4463[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4464[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4465[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4468[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4469[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4471[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4516[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4517[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4560[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]4471[/ATTACH]

Comment

i use old fashioned elbow grease, and a toothbrush looking wire bristle brush(brass or regular type) after cleaning it... CLEAR it or PAINT & CLEAR
                          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                          X