Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood hinges

I tried searching but couldn't find an answer

Will Crown / Garnd Marq hood hinges interchange with an 88 Town car ?

I severely dislike the hood shocks and would like to use hinges with counter springs

Thank you in advance
    sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Nobody knows?
    sigpic

Comment

definitely a good question that I would like to know the answer to myself. My 82 Mark may be looking at some sprung hinge swaps in the future (yeah... the lifts suck).
      *bump*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think all of us Lincoln people have just sucked it up and bought new shocks every couple years when they fail.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

But wouldnt it be nice to not have to do that ?

I can get a set of Crown Vic hinges cheap at the local pullapart , I will probably just buy them and give it a shot then we will all know

I will post my results after research .
          sigpic

Comment

I'd just be worried about bending the aluminum hood if using springs designed for the much heavier Crown Vic steel hood.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That would be a concern , but I was under the impression there are some TC's with steel hoods which I'm fairly certain my car has
              sigpic

Comment

Never mind . apparently my car has a steel frame aluminum hood , a magnet sticks to the underhood bracing , but not the hood surface itself

My bad
                sigpic

Comment

see thats weird. My car had an all aluminum hood as evidenced by the big hole that corroded through it next to the latch. It doesnt make much sense to make a hybrid hood anyway. You cant weld aluminum to steel.

and yes there are steel hoods, most 80-85 had a steel hood unless its a Mark VI.

Comment

my mark VI has a horrendously heavy hood with 2 lifts... so I'm betting it's steel (haven't done a magnet test yet). I'm thinking I'd be fine with springs if they fit. I may measure up my 88 and the mark to see if it would be possible (it'll have to wait for the weekend when I have time).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      see thats weird. My car had an all aluminum hood as evidenced by the big hole that corroded through it next to the latch. It doesnt make much sense to make a hybrid hood anyway. You cant weld aluminum to steel.

and yes there are steel hoods, most 80-85 had a steel hood unless its a Mark VI.
                      I agree , its odd
                      A few weeks ago I was working on something and I dropped a socket ,so then I was using my extend-o magnet and I just hung it from the underside of the hood till I was done , but last night I went out and a magnet wouldnt stick to the hood surface .
                      I need to go open the hood again and make sure , the extend-o may have been hanging from a bolt or something attached to the latch area .
                      I could be completely delusional .
                      I dunno , I'm confuzzled now .
                      Last edited by hypostang; 03-02-2011, 07:47 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X