Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant afford aftermarket valve covers? no problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant afford aftermarket valve covers? no problem!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1664.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1298867Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1663.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1298868Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1661.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1298869Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1662.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1298870 so i got bored,and seeing as i wanted something unique,but didnt have the scratch for aftermarket valve covers, so i made my own. the paint is duplicolor metalcast red. took off the coating and rust as much as i could polished them up and then ran a carbon wire wheel to make the design. thoughts and discuss.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Pretty cool and you will be the only one.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Cool.

Alex.

Comment

Very nice!

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

will definitely go well with the paint scheme you're going with. definite awesomesauce flowing there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

thinking about the wire wheel effect,
            now I want engine turned valve covers!

i.e.: http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature24.html

It was the oddest thing; I went on a tour of a local winery once (nothing special: maryland is just starting to dabble in... vinoculture? oinoculture?),
            and their presses, manufactured in south africa of all places, were decorated with engine turning.
            Seemed frivolous, when the owner taking us on the tour was describing going with south african presses (over, say, french-made) for reasons of a limited budget.
            Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I couldn't afford nice ones until I bought a shitty old set of CAL Customs finned aluminum covers for $20 bucks. dirty as fuck, but they look great now.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                thinking about the wire wheel effect,
                now I want engine turned valve covers!

i.e.: http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature24.html

It was the oddest thing; I went on a tour of a local winery once (nothing special: maryland is just starting to dabble in... vinoculture? oinoculture?),
                and their presses, manufactured in south africa of all places, were decorated with engine turning.
                Seemed frivolous, when the owner taking us on the tour was describing going with south african presses (over, say, french-made) for reasons of a limited budget.
                that is not a hard process to duplicate, you just need a drill press and a roloc disc, i ve seen it done to a custom s-10 that various peices done that way. scince you want a set i can make a set for you, what color do you want them ?colors are blue,green,yellow,orange,purple and red not sure on pricing yet id say 40 bucks with shipping

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  will definitely go well with the paint scheme you're going with. definite awesomesauce flowing there.
                  wait till you see what i do with my rims muwahahaha

Comment

So after getting a couple of ppl who want to use my talents i decided to make another prototype this is also my first engine turning endevor dont be too harsh let me know what yall think.
                    Attached Files

Comment

not bad not bad!
                      I think monochrome (one color) works better.
                      I wonder if script/ lettering would work nicely? Signatures, or, hah, "if found please call..." to dissuade thieves

Comment

The more regular patterns in that latest photo ARE more successful (compared to the first, red ones, with the lines going everywhere).
                        Look at guilloche, or engine turning, or the spiderweb designs around our money (which is a form of guilloche) for inspiration I think.
                        I might want a wave design, with a blue...

how does the paint hold up btw?
                        I was being lazy/didn't care/didn't research preparation requirements, but when I simply cleaned, let dry, and spraypainted my valve covers with engine enamel, I found that it peels very easily,
                        and that it does not hold up to brake cleaner whatsoever.

Comment

not bad not bad!
                          I think monochrome (one color) works better.
                          I wonder if script/ lettering would work nicely? Signatures, or, hah, "if found please call..." to dissuade thieves
                          i wouldnt do two color covers unless order that way this is just to see what it looks like i would have done them in orange and green too if i had those colors i can put sticker under there and spray over top of them so your idea is doable

Comment

The more regular patterns in that latest photo ARE more successful (compared to the first, red ones, with the lines going everywhere).
                            Look at guilloche, or engine turning, or the spiderweb designs around our money (which is a form of guilloche) for inspiration I think.
                            I might want a wave design, with a blue...

how does the paint hold up btw?
                            I was being lazy/didn't care/didn't research preparation requirements, but when I simply cleaned, let dry, and spraypainted my valve covers with engine enamel, I found that it peels very easily,
                            and that it does not hold up to brake cleaner whatsoever.
                            im not sure this is also high temp 500 degree paint so it should be quite durable alot of ppl use this metalcast stuff so im going to say its pretty good

Comment

Working...
                            X