Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I bought a brush guard for $30, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piranah View Post
    I wanna find a brush guard for $30 cheapest around here is $150.
    This. The mad marquis needs some truck steel on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have an idea.

If I can plug the two small holes in the back with some bolts and rubber washers, then use the bolts that held the tube onto the frame to plug the sides with a metal plate and some more rubber...

I can fill it with water and put it in the freezer. The water expands when it freezes, and presses out the dent.

Then I can gradually bend it back into the proper curvature using a round surface, a towel, and a rubber mallet. Without such a large dent, I won't have to worry about creasing.

It'll still have a dent, no doubt, but it'll be easier to work with.
      Last edited by ootdega; 01-07-2015, 11:13 PM.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

that might work. May take a few runs though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Yep. Something gonna expand. Donald

Comment

I have doubts about ice expansion being useful for a dent that big, but I wouldn't want to be taken as discouraging anyone who is willing to try it. I would definitely be in favor of having the tube filled with ice (or some other removable solid, like wax) during the bending process.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
              I have doubts about ice expansion being useful for a dent that big, but I wouldn't want to be taken as discouraging anyone who is willing to try it. I would definitely be in favor of having the tube filled with ice (or some other removable solid, like wax) during the bending process.
              I'm just looking for an improvement. If I actually get it out it'll end up looking worse because of the flaked chrome.
              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

cut end tabs off and heat it red hot at the damaged area and drive something thru the bar. the chrome is gonna get wrecked any way you do it.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you get really lucky, you might find another brush guard with a dent in another part, and then just swap the parts.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I think its more work than its worth to fix. I say wrap another piece of metal around it, strap some fog lights to it and be done.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                    1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                    88 CVLX
                    01 Marquis

Comment

Black always looks good...

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                        The shooting brake's large brush guard is painted white, same as the car and matt black on the side facing the driver to avoid nasty headlight reflection/glare. Same color looks better than the chrome. Pics on old POTM. Donald

Comment

Originally posted by piranah View Post
                          I think its more work than its worth to fix. I say wrap another piece of metal around it, strap some fog lights to it and be done.
                          I need to get it bent back into proper shape so it'll fit on the thing right. The top bar went loose after I took the bottom bar off, because it was pushing the frame outward.

I will cover what is LEFT of the dent after I get that done. I need to get the dent at least partially out so I can bend it back properly without the bar trying to crease at the dent.

I will be mounting fog lights with black metal clamps of some sort that will bolt into the holes in the back of the bottom bar to keep them secure. I'll have a rubber cover between them, along with rubber bushings between the bars and the frame for both looks and practicality.
                          Last edited by ootdega; 01-12-2015, 10:11 AM.
                          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Oh, uh, I forgot about something.

When I asked about a brush guard before, I was told something about the bumper needing reinforced somehow. How does one go about doing that? Can anyone else who has one explain what had to be done to attach it securely?

I should've asked this before, but I forget things when I'm brainstorming.

And thanks for your input, your ideas did help me come up with a solution that was unintrusive and easy to do. I just gotta find what I need at the hardware store.
                            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

meh... just make some brackets and attach it to the frame by going under the bumper. You might want some stabilizer bars over the bumper too if it shakes with just the lower support (or to allow for better pusher use).

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                meh... just make some brackets and attach it to the frame by going under the bumper. You might want some stabilizer bars over the bumper too if it shakes with just the lower support (or to allow for better pusher use).
                                Hm. Rubber might be useful for that as well.
                                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                                X