My old 84 Moose Van.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old 84 Moose Van.

Well,I dug up a couple of pics of my old moose van with the 351W/AOD I built for it.

More details on what I did to it later...
    Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2008, 08:09 PM.

That...

is badass.
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

did'nt you say you sold it because it was bad on gas

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

gotta love the crazy PCV vacuum line off the passenger valve cover Looks nice tho, bet it ran nice too, so do tell, how many "kills" do you have with it?

Comment

Wow, that is AWESOME!

I love econolines! Especially the 61-67, and 68-74 varieties...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
            did'nt you say you sold it because it was bad on gas
            I parted it out. Here was the list of mods:

Richmond 4.11 hears
            Detroit locker (the full unit)
            N-case carrier
            31-spline axles

The original Moose AOD (4R70w gearset, everything done that could be, short of a LenTech valve body), 2400 rpm B&M holeshot convertor

351W, mexican block, .040 over, forged pistons (the wrong damn ones...arrrgghh, for the earlier block, way down in the hole), the largest Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 cam they make, D0OE 351W heads with 1.94 intake, 1.6 valves, ported extensively by me (I ruined one experimental head on purpose, seeing how far I could go with the exhaust ports, took two weeks), ARP rod and main bolts, Melling HV oil pump, Ford Racing oil-pump driveshaft, Cloyes True Roller chain, balanced, line honed, crane gold 1.6 rockers, HV water pump, Perf. RPM intake (powdercoated white, I did that) with open 1" spacer, Edelbrock 1407 750 carb, K&N 4" air filter, BBK 351W stang swap headers, with header wrap, 2 1/2 exhaust with X-pipe, 2 warlock mufflers, H/D radiator, MSD blaster II coil, recurved Duraspark II dist...and I am probably forgetting something.

I shifted at 6500 rpm. I have never heard a vehicle sound like this van, have never owned one before, and haven't heard one since. It shrieked. I blew off a 93 camaro Z28 with it, not because I pulled away, but I got the jump on him, and the driver's side pipe blew straight into his open pass-side window, he backed off. Nobody with USA iron, would race this thing, but damn near every ricer and VW car I pulled up next to wanted to go. I beat every freaking one of them, other than a VW which obviously had a turbo on it. I had the van together for around 5-6 months....then the gas mileage was killing me. It wasn't until after I pulled it apart, that I discovered that the shitty FelPro printoseal gaskets had split wide open around every intake port, short of #7 and #8, the entire gasket section around #5 and #6 had shifted forward about 3/8ths' of an inch, while it was bolted down. This began a series of similar occurrences with guys and their 460's who ran these same gaskets...same problems, many times in a row on some.
            This was the WRONG vehicle to do this to. It wouldn't bark the tires during shifts....the entire rear axle would just bounce and shift forward. With the Locker in there, you never gunned it changing lanes. It shot over two and a 1/2 lanes the one time I did, as it hit bad road grooves right at the same time I nailed it to go around somebody. This was a full conversion van, with rear A/C, everything working. The kids loved it....my original thought was to scare the hell out of my family...in relative comfort. In addition, the super soft front captain's chairs offered no support whatsoever whenever driving, or cornering. I braced my left leg against the door panel, and straddled the seat like I was racing a barstool, hanging on to the wheel for dear life.

The engine went into a bronco, with a C6 and 33" tires....and goddamn me if it didn't get 15 mpg in the Bronco. It never got better than 5 in the van, with an AOD. But it never got better than 13 inches of vacuum with the intake leaks, and pulled 20 after the new intake gasket was installed.

I may build another some day....I haven't ruled it out.

Comment

Scary power in a conversion van.

I know they SUCK to countersteer!!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Hehe Awesome dude. I love built vans.

I once almost owned an Aerostar AWD with a 4.0. Badass Orange with Cobra R's. Only thing it needed was a Supercharger and I'd been set to roast some imports.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

i need that motor for a clean '76 club wagon at the shop. poor thing has a bad cylinder, puffin out smoke out of the #2 cylinder. plus its slow as hell, damn 70's emissions ruined evereything
                  LTD is still here

Comment

That is badass dude,I love hotrod vans.

Comment

wow that was badass!
                      btw any idea what headers i can use on skippys 1997 5.8 f250? truck is a pig.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                        wow that was badass!
                        btw any idea what headers i can use on skippys 1997 5.8 f250? truck is a pig.
                        Is that the old-style (1992-1997) box truck? Unless I am mistaken, Summit racing has a nice bolt-on truck legal header for it. Those are good for 5-10 HP.
                        In addition, If that has the intake manifold I am thinking of, it's a super-small oval-port intake with ports smaller than a Lo-Po 5.0 intake. The only recommendation I have, is if you can afford the Edelbrock truck 5.8 intake, get it. Otherwise, the only other suggestion I have is the Price Motorsports 351W-to-302 intake adapter, and get a 302 truck intake for it, as the 302 truck intake is vastly superior (as long as you port the bottom half at the head entries) to the 351W unit. The 302 truck intake lower is the basis for the Saleen, Vortech, and Holley Systemax II intake manifolds...it works that well.

I have never gotten to try that intake out to see how it works on the truck...I can't see it being a negative, other than maybe killing off a little bottom end grunt at around 2000 RPM. But the stock intake is a travesty at anything higher. IF this is looked into, remember, the bottom half of the 5.0 truck intake (on the head flange) has to be port matched (within reason, anyway), as it is just as small as a stock 5.0 car intake. The intake gets huge after that point.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2007, 07:30 AM.

Comment

thanks mang.... yes it's the old bodystyle......found the headers, they are 150 bucks....not too bad. i figured the intake was kinds crappy.....and it's got a massive converer......maybe put that on the shelf hehe......it's a real pig on fuel too and we need they extra power for hauling coal, panthers, scrap etc......headers is a start.....maybe the intake and ported e7's when skippy gets his settlement.....rpm's not a problem, it's got a 5 speed and a recent clutch.....i would think it should get better than 8-10 mpg tho.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                            thanks mang.... yes it's the old bodystyle......found the headers, they are 150 bucks....not too bad. i figured the intake was kinds crappy.....and it's got a massive converer......maybe put that on the shelf hehe......it's a real pig on fuel too and we need they extra power for hauling coal, panthers, scrap etc......headers is a start.....maybe the intake and ported e7's when skippy gets his settlement.....rpm's not a problem, it's got a 5 speed and a recent clutch.....i would think it should get better than 8-10 mpg tho.
                            Want a bizarre suggestion? you might toss on a set of the old 351W heads, 69-71, and bump some compression. They are already drilled for 1/2 bolts, and also have larger valves.
                            The other thought might be to put in a GT roller cam out of a 5.0, while you have it apart.

I can't remember if that truck has air passages in the head for the EGR crossover, as the EGR feeds from the exhaust manifold...but if you are going to ditch the cat anyway....the E7's have same low compression as the stock heads anyway.

Comment

i have access to a pr of d0oe heads tell me more

Comment

Working...
                              X