Traditional '93 MGM Family Hand-Me-Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional '93 MGM Family Hand-Me-Down

Hey everybody! Here is my 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. It is the traditional family car. The story starts with my Great Uncle who was a fan of big sedans. He bought it new and used it for about 4 years until he died. My grandfather inherited it and he drove it for long trips with the golf buddies or when my grandma had their Toyota. My aunt would also stop by and borrow it for long stretches of time when her van was in the shop and that his how it racked up the miles. After my grandma died a few years ago, it mainly sat around under a carport and was used exclusivley for golf trips and when my aunt needed a car. Last July, grandpa had decided that enough was enough. The extra insurance and fees for a car that wasn't used all that often was getting annoying. So, that's where I come in. My daily driver when I turned 16 was my dad's 1974 VW Beetle. It's a great car and I love it, but I needed something that I could drive in the winter and not worry about salty roads. We worked out a deal for $1,000 and a promise to fix the steps leading up to his back porch for the MGM.
    I picked it up with 96,400 miles and it now has 101,150. It's totally stock and I plan to keep it that way...for now. The pictures don't show it at it's cleanest, but it's decent for Christmas Eve!
    Attached Files
    1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
    1974 VW Beetle

Thats Freakin Awesome,

Comment

Just thought I'd post a picture of the car that I only drive in the summer/good weather only.
      1974 Volkswagen Beetle with a 1600cc Dual Port engine. Engine may have a different camshaft, but that has not been confirmed. Bosch 009 distributor. Formuling steering wheel. Nice stereo system. Still has cassette player. It's a solid driver, but it's no showcar. If I had the time and money and knew how to weld, I would give it a ground up resto, but that's for another time.
      Attached Files
      1974 VW Beetle

Comment

That is one clean aero!! The white ones always look the classiest...

Have any future plans for it?
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Thank you! As of right now, it's future is up in the air. In 2 years I'll be going to college. Most likley I'll be commuting and my parents might trade this guy in for something more fuel-efficient. If I could keep it, I'd do the exhaust up right, add Bullitt wheels, underdrive pulleys, swap the heads and intake for PI gear, have the tranny rebuilt. Something along those lines.
          1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury93 View Post
            I'd do the exhaust up right, add Bullitt wheels, underdrive pulleys, swap the heads and intake for PI gear
            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
              That's exactly what I was thinking!! I was just talking to one of my friends that lives right down the street and it turns out that he is rebuilding a '93 Crown Vic! He came running up to me after he saw what I was driving and we got to talking! I love it when things work out this way!
              1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Nice car mang! Panthers make good college cars, though. I can haul all my buddies around! I like the sound of the mods you're planning.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks. I just need to win the lottery first.
                  1974 VW Beetle

Comment

As of yesterday, my new window sticker isn't lying! Please excuse the nasty window, I would wash it if it wasn't 12 degrees outside.
                    Attached Files
                    1974 VW Beetle

Comment

I got a Cojak light!!

Too bad the passenger window doesn't open.
                      1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Any up-dates for us??
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Any up-dates for us??
                          Nothing big, really. Since that last picture was taken,, I've cleaned up the headlights and turn signals, it's gotten a new alternator, fuel pump, and windshield washer fluid tank. In August, she took me to see my first Ted Nugent concert. Went drag racing with her in July, and I took a week in the summer to detail the exterior.
                          Attached Files
                          1974 VW Beetle

Comment

That's a darn nice Aero for a Hand-me-down!
                            use some plastX and a buffer to get you headlights cleared up and it will be stellar!
                            sigpic
                            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Thanks. You didn't see it when I brought it home! It was completley trashed! I moved the passenger front seat forward and the trash tried to swallow me! It was used by 3 people before me and I am the first one that took the time to clean it. I had to really work over the past year and 4 months to get her looking that good.
                              I used Meguiar's PlastiX on the headlights with a Mother's Power Ball. They look a lot nicer than they used to, but if the sun is at just the right angle, they still look like crap. I've buffed those lights probably 3 or 4 times now.
                              Last edited by Mercury93; 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM.
                              1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Working...
                              X