The '74's Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The '74's Replacement

Well the day I sold my '74 I was just browsin Craigslist and came across this. Always have had a thing for Crew cabs and it was what I was looking for minus the slushy auto. But with all the goodies the price was right so I overlooked that small detail.

Details:
    1995 F350
    7.3 Powerstroke
    Yucky E4od
    Sterling 10.25 rear
    Dana 60 Solid Front
    AFE Intake
    4" bully dog exhaust with 3" downpipe
    Newer Garret Turbo
    Skyjacker 6" Lift springs
    Triple Front shock setup
    37" Parnelli Jones tires

Truck is a dream. previous owners took real good care of the truck. Have all the service records from 2001 up. previous guy sandblasted the frame and undercarriage and had it undercoated a few years ago and it is extremely clean. interior couldn't be in better shape for a '95. Previous guy also had some audio upgrades done, Has all Boston Acoustic speakers throughout along with a 12" Pioneer sub and 1000w Amp. Very clean install so even though I didnt really care if it had it or not its a plus and sounds amazing. Also has a real nice toneau cover and the bed was primarily used to carry his slide in camper. Luckily the bed never saw one of the slip in liners and is the most straight unrusted pre 97 bed I've seen.

Just finished going through the Glowplug system and Changing out the Lift pump as well as chaning out a lot of weathered fuel lines.
    Attached Files
    Resident diesel addict

Damn dude, thats a long truck! Looks damn nice, though.

The real question is, does it perform ok? I've always thought of the 7.3 as a dog. I also think of it as the best sounding light duty diesel ever, but performance wise, I've never though much of them. How does it do with some bolt ons?

Just tonight I had this guy in a later ('99-'02) 7.3 reg cab blow by me as I was pulling away from a light. When I got behind him at the next light, I could hear him spooling it (had an exhaust, and I could see gauges on the a pillar). Just to see if I could, I decided to see if I could stay with him. I thought he was really going to rip it up...

If we had been lined up even, I'd have pulled on him no problem. As it was I was right on his ass at far less then WOT in 2nd, and then I let him go. It did seem like it really started to hump past about 40 mph, though. But I was on the brakes at that point, so I can't be for sure.

Anyways, I digress. Its a great looking truck, Dave. Toss up some day time pics when you get a chance.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Wow! Good luck parking that beast
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

nice catch! those are my absolute favourite front ends on a modern F-series.

I second the curiosity on how she runs with those mods.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Runs good with the mods. By no means the fastest thing on the road but for the size it moves. Off the line theyre dogs without some larger injectors and a bigger turbo housing but I didnt buy it to race it or anything. Although I smoked a newer ext cab Duramax today with his overly loud exhaust kept blipping it til I looked over all through afternoon traffic. caught a light and pulled up next to him for haha's since i really hadn't run it. both slipped a bit due to the roads he got a nose on me then I just pulled ahead and kept goin to 60 then shut it down. 50mph posted road and 60 isnt unheard of but that was all I wanted was the satisfaction he blew by and kept goin.

Just came back from Connecticut, picked up some 35" Mud terrains trying to cut the road noise and the 37's for daily driving is a little much.
          Resident diesel addict

Comment

"Yucky E40D"???

How so? Personal preference or mechanical issues? E4OD in my '95 F150 seems to behave well enough.

Btw, you got a beautiful truck.

Comment

Good looking truck!

Back when I had the wrecker service, I always wanted one of those, with a utility body on the back, and one of those hideaway wheel lifts. Add a compressor, and it would have been a garage on wheels.
              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

"yucky E40d" - Just dont care for automatics first of all. But they don't like larger tires and I find the transmission to be sloppy in the diesel app. Every one I've drivin with the E40d is sloppy in my opinion.
                Resident diesel addict

Comment

Originally posted by FastGallopingPonies View Post
                  "yucky E40d" - Just dont care for automatics first of all. But they don't like larger tires and I find the transmission to be sloppy in the diesel app. Every one I've drivin with the E40d is sloppy in my opinion.
                  This is my first E4OD, so I can't argue toward any comparisons. I baby my truck, even though it has the EFI351W. Don't know if that would make a difference in how that trans would behave. One annoyance with this trans is the pause when you shift into reverse. I'll probably do a shift kit of some sort when the time comes.

Whichever setup a guy gets, their nice trucks. Last good body style from Ford, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by FastGallopingPonies View Post
                    I think there is a way to bump up the line pressure by wiring in a resistor. I believe Ivan (Archangel) did that with his truck; maybe the E40d in yours is a later model, but he may be able to give you some advice on that.

Firm automatics are nice.
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yeah there are ways to firm it up. I just prefer manuals, I may drop the coin on an aftermarket Valvebody but I'm also pondering the idea of just tearing it out this summer and doing a conversion. If this truck wasn't so well takin care of I may have just flipped it for some profit and kept looking for a manual truck.
                      Resident diesel addict

Comment

Does that have 17" wheels?

Comment

I have 16.5" wheels
                          Resident diesel addict

Comment

DATS A BIG BITCH. nice truck

Comment

Nice looking, bet that thing takes up the better part of two parking spots.
                              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X