Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    That's the kind of work I like to do, mostly pretty obvious and the satisfaction of a job well done at the end of it.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Front right brake was starting to make some grinding noise. I had a set of pads that I bought for this car 4 years ago (didn't install them due to finding sufficienly thick pads already on this car). These pads were in with the rest of the parts for the big brake conversion on The Scab, so I'll need to get new pads for the big brakes on The Scab, but most likely those pads will end up on Marge before I ever get around to big brake swapping The Scab, lol.​

So last night the first job on this car at the new place was new brake pads. The outboard pad had tons of life left, but the inboard was the source of the noise with just about no pad left. I figured I would find a terribly chewed up rotor, but I think I caught it early enough as the rotor wasn't badly grooved.
    ​​​​​​The root cause seemed to be sticky slide pins. I cleaned the crap out of the slide pins and the holes where they slide. Put my good slide pin grease in and new boots on the slide pins. Brakes are working great again with no noise now.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    I actually remembered.​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240229_174128545.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	1395300

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Exactly 4 years ago today I bought this car. So I guess 1 leap year ago. I should go get a picture of it after work if I remember to commemorate the occasion or something.
    I've racked up roughly 53K miles in that time. At the moment the biggest issue I have is the battery seems to be getting weaker/not holding its charge as well as it should when parked for a couple days. I'll have to check for unreasonable parasitic draw, but may just opt to swap batteries with The Scab since that battery was brand new last year.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Later than us, even. Had our cars done about three weeks ago, thought we were really pushing it. Now I might intentionally schedule this late, doesn't seem to snow around here until mid or late November at the earliest anyway. Of course, I had to touch up spots that were light or not hit at all. Used four cans of Fluid Film between both trucks, love that stuff.
    I probably scheduled it 3 weeks ago and that was the earliest available slot. The Rochester Hills location is the busiest of any Krown location this time of year they were telling me.

Leave a comment:

• Grand1
    replied
    Yeah I got a gallon of the black version on Amazon for $47 bucks that and a gun for it for 15. Baptized the aero and the vic.

I filled a cooler up with near boiling water and dropped the gallon bucket in it, 45min before turning on the compreasor. Sprays and adheres amazingly well.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Later than us, even. Had our cars done about three weeks ago, thought we were really pushing it. Now I might intentionally schedule this late, doesn't seem to snow around here until mid or late November at the earliest anyway. Of course, I had to touch up spots that were light or not hit at all. Used four cans of Fluid Film between both trucks, love that stuff.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Krown appointment was today. Ready for winter duty.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    It was a much nicer day weather-wise than expected (partly because I never looked at the weather forecast for today, LOL). I changed the oil, lubed the front end and u-joints, cleaned out the interior, and, after helping dad out with a few things, stopped at an automated touchless car wash. All the cleaning was really in preparation for the (kind of late) annual Krown appointment coming up this week. Interior got decluttered and vacuumed and the exterior needed all the mud washed off since my parents live in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road. Even at 10MPH quite a bit of mud gets kicked up.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    As it turns out, the header panel is a little bit harder to get into a whale trunk. I had given up on trying to get the blue one to fit last year but was able to get it this time. (Don't mind the mess or my keyless code. That keyless module has been replaced and that code is no longer correct for my car.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230723_130550397.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1390398

So, Sunday was out with the blue in with the new-to-me.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230724_191707154.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1390399

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Ended up hitting the JY this morning, although I was out of there by 10. Wasn't expecting to get much and really didn't need anything. Found a silver header panel in good shape for this car. Should have got a picture it fit easily in the box trunk. We'll see how long it takes before I swap it for the blue header panel that's on here now since the deer incident last year.
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    I already replaced it and made sure the fan came on with the replacement. Was going to check to see if I already had a suitable relay at my parents place but realized my parts cars are too old.

To give an idea of the area I am currently in, the only tiny hole in the wall auto parts store in this town where I grew up was already closed (at 5:30) before I got there. From that store to an auto parts store in another town there was a 10 mile stretch where I saw more Amish buggies than other cars on the road. Bit different from where I currently reside, 50 miles away, where there are at least 4 of every major auto parts stores within a 5 mile radius.

Leave a comment:

• friskyfrankie
    replied
    If that is your fix, I would get a relay pronto.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Radiator Fan wasn't turning on Wednesday on the way home from work. Couldn't figure out why my AC was feeling like it wasn't working at all until the dash started beeping at me and then I saw the temp gauge was way high. Right after that traffic finally started moving on Van Dyke and it dropped a bar. Then the fan finally kicked on and the AC felt like it was trying. That's when I realized what happened. Not sure if it's a bad relay or bad fan. If it's the fan itself, I have everything I need to convert it to the '02 style fan. I might go ahead and do that swap this weekend.
    Also ordered some new tires that arrived a few days ago for this car, I'll be mounting them this weekend.
    A month later it finally did it again. Sitting in a store parking lot near my parents' place and I started noticing the cabin temperature was feeling warm. Turned the air down since it wasn't set particularly low, and temps at the vents felt warmer than they should be. Didn't take long before the temp gauge claimed one bar higher than normal. Popped the hood and sure enough the fan is not running. Took a few wacks on the relay but sure enough that got the fan going again. Good to know what the problem is. At the time of this writing, I'm still sitting here and vent temps are nice and cold.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Didn't get pics, got the new tires mounted. I have a bubble balancer but forgot to bring it with. No shakes or vibrations at any speed up to 80MPH, so no motivation to remove the wheels to balance them.
    My external TPMS sensors don't fit properly on the new valve stems. The valve core seems to sit deeper in these valve stems. I might be able to grind the thread body of the valve stems down with my Dremel so the sensors engage the core properly, otherwise no sensors unless I want to replace the valve stems.

Didn't get anything else done. It was too hot out for my liking and didn't have enough time due to other plans. The more I thought about it the more I'm thinking my cooling fan issue is the relay. It hasn't acted up again though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X