key stuck in ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

key stuck in ignition

hi guys, i wasn't quite sure where to post this....

for the last week or so, after i put the car in park, the release mechanism that allows the key to come out of the ignition hasn't worked immediately every time. to get the key out, i just had to shift into reverse for a second, then back to park, and that seemed to unlock the key and all was ok.

however, last night, the key got stuck. i can turn the car on/off, shift gears, etc, but it won't trip the release that allows the key to rotate that last "notch" towards me and come out. my car is parked in my driveway with the key sitting in the ignition (locked, thanks to spare keys, heh). i didn't want to force anything, but i tried turning the wheel and jiggling the gear selector, hoping to hit the "sweet spot" that releases the key...but no luck.

anyone have any ideas on what i can do? sorry if this is a dumb question and i am just completely missing something obvious. i would greatly appreciate any advice that you guys have. you guys are the best. and sorry i haven't been around here for so long.
    Last edited by that one girl; 03-23-2008, 11:19 AM.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (R.I.P.)
    1991 Grand Marquis GS

It sounds to me like it might be time for a new ignition switch. I would check around and see how much a locksmith will charge to set a new one up for the keys you already have. And shop around for the switch some can be expencive while other are dirt cheap. (Like my capri, Its $45-50 for mine new and $25-35 used)
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by that one girl View Post

for the last week or so, after i put the car in park, the release mechanism that allows the key to come out of the ignition hasn't worked immediately every time. to get the key out, i just had to shift into reverse for a second, then back to park, and that seemed to unlock the key and all was ok.

however, last night, the key got stuck. i can turn the car on/off, shift gears, etc, but it won't trip the release that allows the key to rotate that last "notch" towards me and come out. my car is parked in my driveway with the key sitting in the ignition (locked, thanks to spare keys, heh). i didn't want to force anything, but i tried turning the wheel and jiggling the gear selector, hoping to hit the "sweet spot" that releases the key...but no luck.

anyone have any ideas on what i can do? sorry if this is a dumb question and i am just completely missing something obvious. i would greatly appreciate any advice that you guys have. you guys are the best. and sorry i haven't been around here for so long.
      ask boxman jeremy had a similar problem

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

It could be that your ignition lock cylinder is broken? If the part that you turn with the key is not in line with the rest of the lock, it won't release your key. That was the first thing I had to replace on my Merc.
        1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
        1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Turn the wheel slighly, it might let go. I had mine do something similar, the steering wheel lock was putting pressure on the lock cyl somehow. Not sure what that was about but it fixed itself when I moved the wheel a bit. If that doesn't help, probably the lock cylinder is going to need to come out and the slide rods lubed. Could also be the shifter tube about to break, the 90+ models used a different shifter setup that would occasionaly snap and cause problems. Usually they get stuck in gear or something though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Those switches suck, in the '90+. I didn't even need a key to start my '90 half the time.
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Oh that sucks. Try pushing up on the gear selector, like putting it higher in park. Does that make sense? Like if you were going to put the thing in park, just pull it up a little more and see if the key will come out.

Comment

thanks for all of the suggestions, guys.

i tried everything. *sigh* i tried moving the gear selector in every direction possible, switching from park to reverse, back to park, etc.....i tried jiggling it various ways, moving it higher into park like you said, 86Vicky (tried that the other day, but tried it again, just for good measure, heh)...i tried moving the wheel a little/a lot to one side (and the other),jiggling the wheel. nothing.

I also called around to a bunch of lock smiths, and they all suck around here, apparently, and either don't do automotive stuff or won't give me any information without my paying someone to come out to look at it.

so, today i took my car baby over to the ford dealership on my lunch break. they promised a free estimate (and then later tried to charge me $50 bucks for it, but i called them on it and got the charge dropped). here is their conclusion:

the shifter tube and bushings need to be replaced.

they want me to pay $425. but then they are a dealership, so, you know, pricey. i am going to get a second opinion... i no longer trust them after they lied to my face about estimate charges.

any opinions?

...and then there's the fact that my water pump is leaking, oil pan is leaking at the bolt (which already has a double nut), and there is something wrong with the fuel injection, i think...but that's a whole other story. i'm a bit frustrated. sorry, rant.

thanks again for your thoughts....
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (R.I.P.)
                1991 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

and then there's the fact that my water pump is leaking, oil pan is leaking at the bolt (which already has a double nut), and there is something wrong with the fuel injection, i think...but that's a whole other story. i'm a bit frustrated. sorry, rant.

the drain bolt? I would either have to say it was cross threaded, or it's missing the rubber washer behind the head of the bolt.

Comment

thanks for all of the suggestions, guys.

i tried everything. *sigh* i tried moving the gear selector in every direction possible, switching from park to reverse, back to park, etc.....i tried jiggling it various ways, moving it higher into park like you said, 86Vicky (tried that the other day, but tried it again, just for good measure, heh)...i tried moving the wheel a little/a lot to one side (and the other),jiggling the wheel. nothing.

I also called around to a bunch of lock smiths, and they all suck around here, apparently, and either don't do automotive stuff or won't give me any information without my paying someone to come out to look at it.

so, today i took my car baby over to the ford dealership on my lunch break. they promised a free estimate (and then later tried to charge me $50 bucks for it, but i called them on it and got the charge dropped). here is their conclusion:

the shifter tube and bushings need to be replaced.

they want me to pay $425. but then they are a dealership, so, you know, pricey. i am going to get a second opinion... i no longer trust them after they lied to my face about estimate charges.

any opinions?

...and then there's the fact that my water pump is leaking, oil pan is leaking at the bolt (which already has a double nut), and there is something wrong with the fuel injection, i think...but that's a whole other story. i'm a bit frustrated. sorry, rant.

It's a bit of a drive, but have you considered Scott's Automotive?

He's the world's best panther mechanic
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I second the opinion above. Also the Dealership will rape you on anything. I just replaced the shift tube and bushings on a '92 Vic, got the tube and bushings from a Junkyard for $10. That was for my buddies dad he was quoted from 4 reputable shops in the area for $400+ by all. One trans shop said it may be a $600+ job once they actually got in there and found out everything that was messed up... yeah right...
                      Last edited by FastGallopingPonies; 04-03-2008, 08:22 AM.
                      Resident diesel addict

Comment

Originally posted by boXman View Post
                        Those switches suck, in the '90+. I didn't even need a key to start my '90 half the time.
                        I've seen that too. My old boss's '93 F-350 would sometimes start without the key. Very weird.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          the drain bolt? I would either have to say it was cross threaded, or it's missing the rubber washer behind the head of the bolt.
                          Guess you've never had a drain plug strip out. :p I lived with a stripped-out front drain plug on the '87 for several years until the engine came out in '04. For a while I used some weird-shaped rubber plug a service station put in as a stopgap, then I added a small piece of that hollow threaded rod for lamps to keep some pressure on the rubber, and later I tried one of those universal molly-backed plug things from the parts store.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            Guess you've never had a drain plug strip out. :p I lived with a stripped-out front drain plug on the '87 for several years until the engine came out in '04. For a while I used some weird-shaped rubber plug a service station put in as a stopgap, then I added a small piece of that hollow threaded rod for lamps to keep some pressure on the rubber, and later I tried one of those universal molly-backed plug things from the parts store.
                            I have, which is why I was saying it might've been crossthreaded put in, or the rubber washer not being there.

Comment

Ah, gotcha ... sorry. I guess if there were a way to do it without contaminating the crankcase, an option might be to cut out the stripped plug hole and weld or braze in a new piece with intact threads ........... come to think of it, though, it wouldn't be too hard to just braze some sort of plate to the outside with a threaded hole in it, provided you can get the outside of the pan clean enough. I guess solder could work too (I love soldering steel), though I'd worry a little about having the softer metal doing the job of holding oil in the engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X