Glove Box Latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glove Box Latch

Since buying my 89 CV two years ago I've replaced the glove box latch three times and its broke again. I've bought new parts and junkyard. Is there a better latch somewhere or do I just keep replacing it?

Thanks
    1989 Crown Victoria LX 5.0. 110000 miles.

Are you squeezing the triggers when you shut it, or are you just slamming the glove box shut? Once you fix it, try squeezing the latch as you shut the glove box.

Comment

They're all like that. You have to squeeze, and push in the trigger while you shut it. Slamming it's just going to break it. There seems to be some minor adjustment in the latch.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Haha, yea, I learned the hard way that you have to squeeze the triggers each time while shutting it, or the lock will break eventually every single time. I went through 3 locks before thinking to squeeze the triggers each time.

Comment

Mine broke a while ago, before I learned it was a problem with all MGM glove boxes. I took the latch apart and superglued it back together. Its holding up so far, but yes, I too suggest holding the latch open when you shut it.

Comment

I do squeeze the latch when closing it, that's part of what I don't get. I think I'm going to buy one more, install it and lock the damn thing so I can't open it and find somewhere else to store all the crap in there.

curley
            1989 Crown Victoria LX 5.0. 110000 miles.

Comment

Do you guys mean the key part doesn't lock anymore, or it doesn't close at all?
              1986 Ford Crown Victoria Ltd

Comment

I don't slam mine I push the door slowly in by pushing on the lock I'll change my habit of closing it for now on. Press the triggers in

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                X