Hood Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood Insulation

My hood insulation looks very ratty, and I am not sure where to find a new one. Is it okay to just take it down and drive it without the hood insulation. What is it's exact purpose anyway? Thanks!

Yup just rip it out, nothing will happen, just becareful of the under hood light when you rip it out, you don't wanna rip that out too. The only diffrence you'll notice is the engine noise. The main reason for the blanket is a sound deadner and if a fire occurs it covers the engine sed putting out fire, I usually rip all of mine out because. 1. they keep the motor hot in the summer. 2. they can cause a fire when they get older from being covered in oil and such engine fluids. 3. when they get all loose and hangy they can get caught in the belts....

Comment

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What they said. The grease blanket is not useful for fire supression anymore.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if i put dynamat on it and than the insulator will the car be alot quiter from the inside also thinking about sound dendening the whole floor cause mufflers have alot of resonance
          sigpic
          1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Awe, there is one on Ebay - I will have to consider that. For now, I will just remove it and have the underside of the hood go naked for now. Thanks!

Comment

I actually asked this on here like last week, and then tore mine out. Sounds a little better and looks a hell of a lot cleaner under there. Fuckin' thing was a fire hazard, imo..it was so greasy and grimy
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

From my thunderbird Club

Thought I would share this site with you guys. This Guy makes new Hood Insulators and are VERY NICELY done..... check it out.

He does CV & GM's and much more, here's his site for you guys.

Hood bonnet insulation insulator liner pad for Ford Mustang, Chevy Corvette, Camaro, Buick Grand National, Jaguar, Mercedes Benz, Pontiac Trans Am, Firebird, Bricklin, Fiat 124 Spider and many, many other cars made from aircraft firewall material with a heat-resistant vinyl decal, superior to stock fiberglass and better than Dynamat and trying to clean your factory hood liner. Heat-resistant vinyl decal emblems can be added to my hood liner. Ordering info is at the bottom!

Jeff B.
                My 90 Colony Park...All Stock/ My 89 T-Bird SuperCoupe...Modded

Comment

How good is that ebay one? Mine droops and touches the engine or something cause its made a hole.
                  88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Working...
                  X