carpet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carpet?

What makes automotive carpet different than the plain ol' stuff you'd find in a house? Anything?

Gotta put down a new patch of carpet and insulation where I had to pull some of mine and want to know what I should be looking for.

Any tips or trick to putting this stuff down so it doesn't move around at all? Act as if I've never done this before. This is in the rear passenger floor pan btw, and I don't have any plans to remove seats and re-carpet the whole thing in future.

I'd personally be fine with leaving the floor pan exposed there 'cause I've got nice Built Ford Tough flootmats and it covers the spot perfectly
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Re carpeting is only a good days work. I believe the difference is that auto carpet is much more resilient and wont mold when wet, has higher tolerance to stain removal etc.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
      I believe the difference is that auto carpet is much more resilient and wont mold when wet, has higher tolerance to stain removal etc.
      This^

you can find automotive carpet by the yard at some auto interior online stores, you would just have to find the right color. This is what I have been looking at to get carpeting to redo the door panels:

Need extra yardage to complete your interior restoration, we have many styles & colors. Carpet yardage is sold by the yard (36" x 76") and available in a Cut Pile, 80/20 Loop, Nylon, Essex, Daytona, Truvette, Gros Point, and Tuxedo. We also sell our pebble grain floor vinyl by the yard.

You can also request samples if you can't figure out what color to get.
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Well I may very well check out prices on carpet for the whole thing...didn't know it would only be like a days work. If it's really expensive I'll probably just do the one area, and it doesn't have to match EXACTLY so that opens up my options a bit. I'll shop around this week when stores are open.

thanks guys
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Yeah its basically just seats and trim removal on the inside, and then its a little bit of a pain to get everything aligned, I would plan on making a day out of it, but it shouldn't take any longer.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

also, the carpet hairs and matting are a bit lighter. to be honest, its not easy to take a standard couple yards of carpet and lay it in the car. the carpet that is in your car is molded so it fits around the floor pan nicely. i used to wait for a nice clean panther to roll into the junk yard with the right color carpet, then rob it from the car. jus had to give it a quick wash and was set to go.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

if you do look for a whole new carpet, I'm pretty sure GoodSamaritan can get you a discount on some.
              Last edited by hemihotrod402; 04-03-2010, 10:30 AM.
              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

$150 from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/MERCURY-GRAND-.../dp/B002LOYGZS

But yeah Goodsamaritan was able to get discounts.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I'd get a molded carpet like what was posted above. Nothing else you find will fit so well.

If you're using something else, just buy some of 3M's General Spray Adhesive and spray the floor as you're laying the stuff down. Test fit everything to make dead sure it's in the right place before doing so though, and don't expect to pull the carpet back out any time soon. I don't think molded carpets need spray adhesive... I've never used it on one.

Comment

Get a new molded carpet for the entire car.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
                      I'd get a molded carpet like what was posted above. Nothing else you find will fit so well.

If you're using something else, just buy some of 3M's General Spray Adhesive and spray the floor as you're laying the stuff down. Test fit everything to make dead sure it's in the right place before doing so though, and don't expect to pull the carpet back out any time soon. I don't think molded carpets need spray adhesive... I've never used it on one.
                      They shouldn't need adhesive because the seats, trim pieces should hold it in. From the factory there should be almost no adhesive on it either. Molded is the way to go.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

On the non-molded ones, without spray adhesive the carpet doesn't lay quite as flat as it could. You don't HAVE to have it, but it's better-looking if you do.

There's no adhesive on it from the factory because it's molded.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Get a new molded carpet for the entire car.

The carpet isn't bad in any spot except the R.pass...I can't drop 200+ on carpeting for my car right now unfortunately

p.s - I know someone is going to say it wouldn't cost that much, but, by the time it got to me, it most definitely would. Unless GS is giving away pre-molded carpet for a song, I can't do it. thanks for the advice though guys
                          sigpic

Comment

In all honesty if it is mostly underneath the floor mat I wouldn't sweat it.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, I was just pointing out that if it was the work you were hesitant about that you shouldn't be. If you just get some carpet and throw it in there for now, later on you can do the whole thing.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X