Cleaning potential mold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning potential mold?

So I just hauled my 1983 GM to my house and put it in the garage to begin the process of getting it in better shape.

I was cleaning a bunch of crap out of the trunk and discovered that some time during it's 5 years in a parking lot, the deck lid seal gave out somewhere cause there was a small puddle of water in the bottom....slushy carpet.

Don't know how long it had been there, so I dried it all out, cut the carpet out and trashed it. So it's bare metal with a little rust.

I sprayed lysol all over the bare metal, I want to make sure any mold in there dies and doesn't spread.

Any other ideas or should I be good to go?

take the trunk floor plugs out, wash it out with soap and water

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

if you're really germ-phobic, mix up some bleach and water, but rinse the hell out of it. Bleach is alkaline and will rot the metal out. Soap and water should be plenty sufficient tho
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ammonia will kill mold, so many window cleaners will kill mold if it is there. We use Windex on our leather and it will clean it and kill mold if it showed up. As said before soap and water should do the trick but if you want to mix some ammonia in with your soap and water it should take care of the mold without any nasty potential side effects of bleach.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM. Reason: El stupido can't spello

Comment

Plus, according to a guy I know who sells mold remediation products, beach can actually spread the mold, something I don't understand about breaking up spores. Just fyi.

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

If I use soap... what kind? Just antibacterial hand soap or Blue Dawn? Or Dial from the shower?

After throwing out the trunk liner and soaking up all the water, I there was no visible mold, but I'm sure there are spores in there somewhere.

Comment

This is just me but I like to use dish soap personally. It will cut grease pretty well and if you get antibacterial soap it will kill germs and such but I don't know about mold. I use dish soap to was my car when I do it at home and I haven't had any negative effects although if someone who knows better would like to chime in feel free. The wan I look at it dish soap isn't a harsh chemical so it won't hurt you and I wouldn't think it would hurt your car. I would make sure it doesn't have bleach in it though because it could discolor stuff.

Sorry to go off topic for a minute but do your tail lights in your avatar really do that? And if so I must know what you did!
              Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM. Reason: questioning awesomness of tailights in avatar

Comment

dish soap is good for many things.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I think I'm going to use:
                  1) Chlorine Bleach
                  2) Ammonia
                  3) Blue dawn/water
                  4) UV Lamps,
                  5) Uranium 302

with a clean water rinse after each, sans numbers 4 and 5.

Comment

I just spoke to the mold remediation guy - bleach doesn't work, it doesn't kill it. Ditto with antibacterial or dish soap. He said no one sells ammonia for it so he didn't know about it.

He said it has to say 'disinfectant' on it (lysol?), and to be official it has to have an EPA registration number on it (although this wouldn't bother me much). He also mentioned Hydrogen Peroxide but said it can be corrosive.

Just fyi.

Pete
                    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

FYI: bleach + ammonia = death. The gas created is VERY toxic. If you plan to use both, make damn sure the bleach is completely removed before using the ammonia.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

After doing some googling I have some information. Bleach is not an effective mold killer because mold is like a plant and to kill it you have to get the roots. Bleach is mainly comprised of water and the chemicals that are in it will slow it down but not kill it. Ammonia will kill mold but not on porous surfaces. There are some natural alternatives like tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract, and vinegar. You will need to search a little to see if this will effect paint and or metal. Mold will die if exposed to temperatures over 100 degrees F and certain uv radiation. I think that if you dry the area out really good, clean it with very well with some good soap, and let it dry again very well and try to prevent any moisture from building up you should be fine.

The above is correct with the bleach and ammonia. Never mix the two.

Comment

hmph, I'd have figured bleach would kill mold pretty effectively. Hell it kills everything else. Learn something new every day I suppose.

Bleach + ammonia releases chlorine gas, which is what the Germans used in WW1 to kill people in trenches. Nasty stuff. Also apparently if mixed in certain quantities, you get other toxins or something thats possibly explosive.

For what its worth, gamma radiation does great things to kill mold. It will kill you too, but at least your corpse will be sterile to go in your sterile trunk
                          Last edited by gadget73; 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            It will kill you too, but at least your corpse will be sterile to go in your sterile trunk
                            Lol looking at the bright side I see

Pete

Comment

Working...
                            X