Stereo and Dash Top question - 86 Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo and Dash Top question - 86 Tudor

Hey all, the 1986 coupe my brother and I recently bought (http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=40749) is pretty damn nice for its mileage and asking price. But it has two interior "problems."

1. black plastic dash top overlay: Does anybody make a replacement top, not just a cover that poorly it fits around the defroster vents? If not, I'll just find matching paint and spray it.

2. two knob cassette stereo: it has premium sound, but not the digital version I was expecting. Most cars from this year had the digital one. I am tempted to throw this stereo in our '72 Mark IV (it needs a two knob unit) and put in one I have from an '86 Mark VII in the MGM. Do you know if the premium sound analog unit has different wiring harnesses than the premium sound digital one?

3....not interior related...shouldn't all LS's have the LS badge on the trunk? This car was repainted, I think the body shop never reinstalled the LS badge. It is definitely an LS, the tripminder, auto lights, leather, turbines, cornering lights, etc tell me that. Off to the yards I go.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pro-five-oh; 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM.

1 I don't think anyone makes a repop dashboard. Best I've seen are the plastic caps or the hard to find perfect dashboard that falls apart in 6 months.

2) now thats interesting. I've never seen a 2 shaft premium sound in an 86. Is it the kind with the pullout knob? I think the Mark VII radio had the square amp and not the football amp. If thats the case, its not compatible. The box premium sound amplified the front speakers only, rears ran straight off the radio. The Mark stuff that I've seen has line-level outputs to a 4 channel amp, and then out to the speakers. The plugs ought to tell you. If its got two wide flat plugs, its speaker level output, if its got a flat and a square then its line-level. What you might look for is a Towncar with the JBL stuff and just swap the whole rig over. Don't know if you've ever sat in a box with a JBL system but it does not suck.
    Last edited by gadget73; 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by pro-five-oh View Post
      Hey all, the 1986 coupe my brother and I recently bought (http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=40749) is pretty damn nice for its mileage and asking price. But it has two interior "problems."

1. black plastic dash top overlay: Does anybody make a replacement top, not just a cover that poorly it fits around the defroster vents? If not, I'll just find matching paint and spray it.

2. two knob cassette stereo: it has premium sound, but not the digital version I was expecting. Most cars from this year had the digital one. I am tempted to throw this stereo in our '72 Mark IV (it needs a two knob unit) and put in one I have from an '86 Mark VII in the MGM. Do you know if the premium sound analog unit has different wiring harnesses than the premium sound digital one?

3....not interior related...shouldn't all LS's have the LS badge on the trunk? This car was repainted, I think the body shop never reinstalled the LS badge. It is definitely an LS, the tripminder, auto lights, leather, turbines, cornering lights, etc tell me that. Off to the yards I go.

Thanks!

i have a stock premium sound digital radio from a 86 Town car that would plug and play to you car system without needing to rewire anything. check my Thread Matts Box of parts thread for a picture. Asking $20 for it but i accept any offers.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Gadget:

1) Ok, I am not surprised. Now to see if I can find a gray SEM paint that'll match the 1986's interior. Guess I should be happy the previous owner put the dash cap on, he obviously loved this car!

2) Yeah, its a two knob that says Premium Sound. All black. This car looks like an early 86, judging by the intake plaque...it only says 5.0...not 5.0 EFI.

The Mark stereo I have has a real amp, its just like the Grand Marquis unit. The passive one you're talking about came out in 1988. I put this stereo in our 1984 Fox LTD and it worked perfectly. Fingers crossed it'll work fine on the MGM. Only problem is that Brad wanted it for his LSC GTC resto, but I think I'll have to keep it myself.

I'll do the stereo, dashtop respray, and tripminder tune up (clean contacts so the buttons work) pretty soon and update this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
          i have a stock premium sound digital radio from a 86 Town car that would plug and play to you car system without needing to rewire anything. check my Thread Matts Box of parts thread for a picture. Asking $20 for it but i accept any offers.
          If mine doesn't work I might take you up on that.

Comment

Whats the build date on that thing?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Whats the build date on that thing?
              grrr...why didn't I check and why did I know you'd ask me? I'll see the car soon and get back to you.

Comment

This was the radio in my 86. It was Premium Sound with the four channel amp in the trunk. The electronic radios used a 2 channel amp according to the EVTM. Mine (analog head) the front dash and door speakers were wired in parallel, and the rear deck speakers were wired separately, but they all passed thru the amp.
                Attached Files
                sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

iv only seen that radio once in my life. i guess you can say rare

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by cadfan64 View Post
                    This was the radio in my 86. It was Premium Sound with the four channel amp in the trunk. The electronic radios used a 2 channel amp according to the EVTM. Mine (analog head) the front dash and door speakers were wired in parallel, and the rear deck speakers were wired separately, but they all passed thru the amp.
                    That's what I got!

(Sorry for the late reply, apparently I didnt subscribe to this thread?)

Comment

well i still have the radio if you need it.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Working...
                      X