Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinyl paint remover

Hello gents,

I painted my dash with a plastic/vinyl paint...and i discover a matching dye that i can use...however i cant dye the paint. So anyone know of a paint stripper i can use on this to safely remove the paint from the dash?

Heres the dye obtw....http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    Hello gents,

I painted my dash with a plastic/vinyl paint...and i discover a matching dye that i can use...however i cant dye the paint. So anyone know of a paint stripper i can use on this to safely remove the paint from the dash?

Heres the dye obtw....http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html
    Just gonna throw my out here Phil, none of your trim matches, why not paint it the color of the vinyl paint. I can't think of any paint strippers that aren't gonna eat into that dash pad.

Comment

i can simply dye them all back to factory. i dont want the car dark brown anyway...and its also too shiny. there is this: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/klea...7-p-12820.aspx

not sure if itd be ok on vinyl though
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

try 3M general purpose adhesive remover. it removes dye off of cushions, and as long as your dont leave a soaked rag laying on the vinyl it wont burn it
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

medium paint reducer
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Soak a rag in Acetone, and start scrubbing it. I know for a fact that the SEM stuff will come off fairly quickly this way. After you get the majority of the paint off, and you are getting down to the bare plastic in some places (which is white), don't scrub in one place for too long or it will start to eat into the dash plastics bumpy finish, keep the scrubbing very light at that point. It works well, is just a PITA to get done.

Comment

thanks guys for the responses!

i ordered a color chip chart...8 bucks, i hope at least one matches my interior!!!
              Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 10-10-2010, 06:00 PM.
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

hmmm this says its solvent based...not a dye...i wonder if i could just spray it over the paint that is allready on it...
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, you could, but I'm not sure how long it would last in the long run. I'd go ahead and scrub the dye off, it really is not that hard to get off, as it can't soak into the hard plastic really at all, so it just coats the surface like a regular paint. For maximum adhesion the new plastic paint needs to bond directly to the bare surface of the plastic.

Comment

true, its not a dye though...its a krylon plastic paint...
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

It will be a little tougher to get off then, but it will still come off just the same.

Comment

thanks guys! as soon as i'm sure i can match the interior (when the chip chart comes) i will try both acetone and the adhesive remover ( i read about both else where as well) and see which i like best! hurrah for a matching interior!
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X