Trunk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk...

Well, today I pulled all the plugs in the trunk to clean it out... you would be suprised how dirty it can be after 19 years! (Especially as a policecar!) I used dawn and some purple power to scrub the trunk out, after taking all the plugs out, so water could drain... Even the two small plugs in the side "wells". I used about three different size brushes to get down into the nooks and crannys... so now it looks pretty good, altho I think I will still paint under the carpet with some of the grey "splatter paint" that was used for trunks... I also have to find a leak, Even after doing the seam sealer, I STILL have a small leak.. I am getting a friend of mine to water the trunk area down while I get in the trunk, to try to see where it is coming from. We had some pretty heavy rain the other day, so it may be the trunk seal itself, and splashing over the top... (May be a small gap between the seal and the trunk lid) if there is a leak there, I have a new seal for it... so no worries! After that, the new carpets will go in, and the trunk "display" will be installed... one less thing to do to the car!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

My car was once used to tow a horse trailer, and hay was sometimes stored in the trunk. You wanna talk about nasty stuff in a trunk, just wait till you pull up carpet and find a mixture of hayseeds, hay, plus all the general muck and grime of 20 years of neglect.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hay in the trunk of a luxury Lincoln automobile. Makes perfect sense.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I took my carpet out. Last time I cleaned with a shovel.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Found the leak, and fixed it... a small rust out place under the lower back window trim... right at the corner. Cleaned it out, (Hard part was underneath, inside the car!) then used some of the bondo with angel hair in it... Supposed to be pretty good stuff, never used it before. I then seam sealed over it after it "set" for a day... I also sprayed rust nuetralizer under the lip, and then sprayed undercoating inside, under the area of the rust out.... to keep it from re-rusting hopefully. I know eventually I will have to take the back window out, and cut the area out and replace it... it is right on the edge of the rear window, right at the corner. NOT looking forward to that! I will be watching for a car in the junkyard that is not rusted, to cut a repair panel out of... in fact, I will get both sides, just in case, in case the other side starts. This is one reason I wanted to seam seal the trunk lip, to keep the other side from starting. So maybe I can cut this section out, and weld in the new one... This all stems from the fact that Ford overlapped the metal near the trunk lip the wrong way. The over lap is towards the down hill side, not the upper side, so water doesn't run off as well as it should, (It lays in the small crack, especially when the seam sealer starts to crack. Then it starts to rust) If they would have overlapped it the OTHER way... the water would drain off with no problem, and not lay in the small little "dam" that is formed by the little overlap of metal. My 84 is the same way, and it is rusted in the exact same place...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
          Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Working...
          X