Putting a Double din in 98 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting a Double din in 98 GM

I got a new Pioneer avh3200bt for xmas which is a double din but I believe the stock radio to be a 1.5 din if I remove a little bit of the plastic above or below will it fit? or do I have to modify more than just the front trim?

Originally posted by thewishkah View Post
    I got a new Pioneer avh3200bt for xmas which is a double din but I believe the stock radio to be a 1.5 din if I remove a little bit of the plastic above or below will it fit? or do I have to modify more than just the front trim?
    i think your gonna have to make a custom piece mang double dins take up alot of room
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

A true double din won't fit due to the heater duct being in the way.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

ooops i didnt see it was a 98, it should fit with a little of massaging and soem enginuity but if it doesint, hmmm might have to mod a few things

Comment

I pulled out the stock radio tonight and I saw the heater duct staring me in the face telling me to go F myself lol. I wonder if I heat up the duct till its pliable if I could make this fit. Or what If I trim the black plastic at the bottom of the trim panel around the radio enough where it sits down like a 1/4 inch but that may leave a gap up top, as it is id need to trim the plastic lips that are around the opening just to make it fit in there but that's no big deal really.

Comment

Or if anything I could cut the tube and fiberglass it to a shape that would allow it to fit.

Comment

or youll have to have a kit that brings the stereo out a bit mang ittl look a little funky but it will work

Comment

I am assuming that even if i were to return this for a flip out that wouldnt work either? Would it hit the top of the dash?

Comment

Originally posted by thewishkah View Post
                  I am assuming that even if i were to return this for a flip out that wouldnt work either? Would it hit the top of the dash?
                  hmmm it might not there are kits that do bring rhe deck our a little

Comment

Well after looking around all day, I had to pay a little more and went with a Kenwood KVT-514 which does not have as many included features like built in blue tooth but it will fit and its a flip out which makes it a little more concealable while parked. It is a blizzard out right now but I reaaaaaalllly want to install this thing now. I may do it tonight, we will see. If I do Ill get pictures.

Comment

Flip outs won't work, as they hit the top of the dash.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

You can install a double din radio but you have to remove the dash and change the heater duct. I believe in 2003 or 2004 they changed the heater duct so the car could be equipped with a double din. I am not sure the year but I know for a fact that this was indeed changed at some point. The heater duct is a direct swap if I recall correctly.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found out the hard way about the flip out but I am not going to return it again lol I am going to trim the lower part of the radio bezel (black trim around radio) just a little bit maybe a 1/4 of an inch or so which should give me the clearance I need. I played with it a bit tonight in the middle of this crazy blizzard but I wasnt about to start triming the dash tonight lol. With out the trim ring and having the radio moved forward a little bit I got it to open and close with no issue so once I drop it down a little bit it should clear just fine.

Comment

another thought I had is if the hvac controls are movable I could relocate them up to the stock radio position and put the radio down there.

Comment

Originally posted by chiachick07 View Post
                              You can install a double din radio but you have to remove the dash and change the heater duct. I believe in 2003 or 2004 they changed the heater duct so the car could be equipped with a double din. I am not sure the year but I know for a fact that this was indeed changed at some point. The heater duct is a direct swap if I recall correctly.

Yup 03+ have the new heater duct. If you take the plunge, replace your blend door actuator and heater core while the dash is off.

I have looked into this for my Marauder and with the 03+ duct only some very mild trim is needed to fit the 2.0 DIN mostly cutting away the factory mount clips etc..
                              2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                              2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Working...
                              X