Shift lever spring replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift lever spring replacement

Just did this job while the car was off the road for the winter. Was fun, let me tell ya!

The shift lever suddenly became floppy - as in, when you pull it toward you to shift, it would not spring back the way it's supposed to. This is the first time I had ever encountered this issue in any car.

I found a NOS spring after contacting the local dealer. They told me the part was no longer made (not surprised), but the parts guy was kind enough to give me the part number. A quick Google search for D8BZ7B071A, and BAM - found this place here: http://www.nospartsltd.com/Default.asp Wasn't too cheap, considering it's just a tiny spring, but at least it's fixed now.

Didn't think I'd ever find a replacement spring! Searching online without the p/n proved useless. I couldn't find a single post on this procedure, so I figured I'd post up mine. It's not for the mechanically faint of heart. Had to use a dental mirror and an allen wrench like chopsticks while holding a flash light in the other hand in order to remove the forward-facing bolts from the steering column.

While I was getting into the column, I removed the instrument cluster to lube all the gears up, and the cable, to quiet down the racket that developed recently. I recalled doing the same to my first Marquis at around 240k miles - this one needed TLC a bit sooner.

I'm going off memory here so bear with me. You'll probably get a better idea from the pics. At the time I did this, I wasn't on this forum, so I didn't take more detailed pics or plan the instructions better. Sorry!

Once you get the plastic off the column, you need to remove the 3 allen bolts that face forward - can't see them without a mirror AND flashlight at the same time. It's a pain - trust me. Getting them back in is even MORE fun! You can see the spring I'm talking about in the second pic, and the general direction of those 3 allens by where the mirror is, and by the allen key I left in one of them for this pic. Once those are removed, then you can slide that entire shifter assembly toward the passenger side (with some wiggling), then remove the one bolt at the base of the spring, which allows you to slide the shaft and spring out in one shot. My spring came out in 8 pieces!

If your going to remove your instrument cluster, be aware of that plastic shift indicator collar - it will be VERY brittle, and will probably break. I tried welding the plastic back together, but this type of plastic has no strength when repaired that way. I ended up using 2 large zip-ties around the entire thing. Now the shift indicator is finally back to normal! It hasn't been in the 10 years we've owned it. OD used to be D, and N used to be OD ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marquis shifter spring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1300664Click image for larger version

Name:	Marquis, shift spring installation.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1300665Click image for larger version

Name:	Marquis instrument cluster.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1300666
    Last edited by Smithsonite; 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM. Reason: Made some corrections, added some info.
    sigpic

Funny as I have the same issue on my '87 GM but not sure I want to go through the grief to replace it! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yeah it's a bit of a project. It still shifted fine the way it was, but stuff like that drives me absolutely bonkers ...
      sigpic

Comment

Same deal here - shifts fine and lines up properly but I am a "stickler" for everything being perfect!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Would dropping the column (only 4 bolts and wiring holding it up) make it easier to access some of the fasteners?
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Its not that bad to do. I did mine years ago and don't recall having any particular problem getting to any of the screws. I know I didn't use a mirror or anything like that.

no writeup per se, but I seem to remember popping the shift lever out of the shaft, and then I was able to get the screw out that holds the return spring bracket in place. My spring was in a dozen pieces.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The layout of the dash / instruments in those pics is totally different from mine. I can't remember exactly my reason for doing it this way (had to have been easier), but when I got into mine I recall that there was no easy way to drive the pin out of the shifter itself. There was no allen or anything on that column that I remember - just a roll pin from what I remember. That would've required removing the dash pad and beating on the column with a punch and hammer, so I figured it'd be easier to just move that entire shift column to one side.

I'll be pissed if there actually was an allen screw there! I didn't look at it too closely ...
              sigpic

Comment

its a Lincoln, so different instrument cluster. The column should be the same though, or at least it is from 79-89. The 90+ is a completely different column, and I have no idea whats inside of those.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Started to shift my 1993 MGM into reverse earlier, and when I pulled the shift lever back to move the shifter, felt like something broke, and the shift lever went all loose and wobbly.Won't go into gear. Do you suppose it was just the spring, and that's all that needs replaced? Or would it be easier to replace the whole shift tube? Fixing this will be another new experience for me. Do I have to drop the steering column? And do I have to remove the steering wheel to do that?
                  Thanks,
                  Don.
                  1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

If it won't shift into gear, it sounds more like the shifter cable or shift tube.
                    Matt

Deep Jewel Green/Mocha 1993 Grand Marquis LS

Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Welded mufflers, 17x8 bullits, KYB shocks, Air Lift springs, Draw Tite Class II trailer hitch, and new valve seals @ 116,000 mi.

Comment

Shift tube most probably. The shifter spring just makes the lever flop, but it still goes into gear.

This is a must-see site for fans of American luxury hot rods. Message forums, tech advice, news, and automotive performance links are offered for Lincoln Mark VIII and Mark VII, Lincoln LS, Town Car, Continental, Navigator, Aviator, Zephyr, MKR, MKS, MKZ and more.

Comment

the two bolts on the bracket at the end of the shift tube probably came loose. They are T20 IIRC and a PAIN to get at unless you have a right angle T20 or stubby. I almost had that issue with my 93 cv, but I caught it while it was still just a dink loose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I took things apart and was able to stand on my head and look at those bolts. They were still in place. Didn't check them for tight. Was just trying to see what was what. Saw that the plunger connected to the shift lever would move into the tube and back, but had no tension on it. Couldn't tell from looking that anything was wrong, except for the lever not having any tension on it. Can get another shift tube for $30 , and from the link by the original poster, a spring for $10, but will have to be mailed.
                          Don.

Comment

Well, I want to thank everybody for helping with this problem. Had the steering column down and replaced the shift tube. When all was said and done, really wasn't too bad to do, but I didn't do it all at once. Fortunately was able to borrow my brothers S-10 to get me around. The shift tube was busted. Now off to find out what the "shudder" is all about. Thanks again.

Don.

Comment

TC Shudder???

Comment

Working...
                              X