Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89LincolnTWNcar
    replied
    i used the hacksaw to get off the passenger side, gotta do the drivers side now.

Leave a comment:

• Stu
    replied
    Originally posted by Freshmeat
    Originally posted by Stu
    $20 shorties?
    Where are you shopping?
    I bought my twenty dollar specials off eBay.

Leave a comment:

• Freshmeat
    replied
    Originally posted by Stu
    $20 shorties?
    Where are you shopping?

Leave a comment:

• Stu
    replied
    Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
    I got them for a 78-79 truck with a 351M.

I happened to aquire them thur the store (defect) cause they werent for the vehicle that the guy ordered them for, and were used.

I took em home

I gotta redrill the flanges a bit, and prob cut some, but I will keep everyone posted...
    Is there any reason you are going to go through all that pain and agony for a 2 or 3 hp gain on $20 shorties?

Leave a comment:

• Grand Marquis GT
    replied
    I got them for a 78-79 truck with a 351M.

I happened to aquire them thur the store (defect) cause they werent for the vehicle that the guy ordered them for, and were used.

I took em home

I gotta redrill the flanges a bit, and prob cut some, but I will keep everyone posted...

Leave a comment:

• Freshmeat
    replied
    What longtubes did you order? Will they require any cutting?

Leave a comment:

• Grand Marquis GT
    replied
    I don't think I will have many problems this week when I start to remove mine, to install my longtubes...

Leave a comment:

• Freshmeat
    replied
    I was able to easily access all the manifold-to-head bolts on mine... but I'm running Mustang stock "headers" and I have a warm-air intake that only required loosening one screw to remove.

I also didn't need any swivel anything for the manifold-to-pipe bolts... but my entire exhaust has been replaced.

Thinking about it, after this, the driveshaft and rear axle will be the only stock parts on the drivetrain... and even those will be replaced before long.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    I found that you can get most of the manifold to head bolts out with a flexi socket and long extension right through the wheel wells. Saves some scrapes on your arms.

Leave a comment:

• 88grandmarq
    replied
    I am still confused as to which bolts you are talking about. the bolts that hold the pipe to the manifold? or the bolts that hold the manifold to the head? I either case, both are not terribly difficult to get off.

if it is the bolts that hold the pipe to the manifold and you dont plan on using the stock pipes anymore, just cut the pipe 3"-4" behind the manifold and be done with it.

Leave a comment:

• Mercracer
    replied
    Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar
    You guys don't understand, I CANNOT get to my bolts, there IS NO WAY.
    Unless you have a 1 of 1 car with the special stealth exhaust bolt package, you CAN get to them. Whether you have the right socket/extension/swivel combination or not is another question. The sockets with an integral swivel often are the ticket.

Leave a comment:

• Mercmarquis
    replied
    He also has a 4 cat h pipe. I took one look at the one on my vic and said F it and got the sawzall!

Leave a comment:

• grandpaslincoln
    replied
    Dude, I did it, it was easy. Course once I got my fat hands squeezed between the heater box and the manifold, I discovered that none of the bolts were tight, I could unscrew them with my fingers

Leave a comment:

• Lincolnmania
    replied
    if you arent saving the pipes, the sawzall works well :chainsaw:

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    Unless your car is dramaticly different than any other, the flange bolts should actually be pretty simple to get at. long extension and an 11/16 (or 16mm, whatever) socket with a swivel and you can get them. I used a flexi-socket last time, one of the types with the flex part built in. It was a medium well, not a -deep well but they came out decently easy. The ones on my car wouldn't let go and I ended up taking a die grinder to them, but the CV I pulled them on this weekend actually broke loose. If you have a torch handy, get those suckers good and hot and they'll come right apart. Get them glowing, then jam the extension+socket on it and crank away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X