PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery coolant leak

What a Luxury car should be. mercurygm88's Avatar

Does anyone happen to have the motorcraft past number for the intake manifold? Upon closer inspection it seems to be leaking at the bottom of the thermostat housing between the aluminum crossover and the plastic. Maybe if I can get decent photos of a manifold alone I can better see how this is attached and if thatís even a possible leak point. Replacing the manifold is out of the question at this time due to lack of funds, time, and possibly ability. So hopefully Iím wrong about this.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE - Daily Driver
    1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI - Summer Cruiser

Intake manifold for 2002: 1W7Z-9424-AB

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Awaiting Resurrection
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

fomoco panthers !

I have searched and come up with a few part numbers . The most common Ford number for the 02 MGM 4.6 is 1W729424AB or 3W729424AA. Some sources I checked asked about the car having a coolant heated pcv. I would check out the Performance intake from ADTR.NET @ $259. I believe this is an genuine Ford part.
    I have checked other sources and as of now, no genuine Ford factory model is available. I hope this helps.
    Whole bunch of aftermarket manifolds available. I just ordered one from 1Aautoparts with a lifetime warranty. Not the genuine Ford upgrade I wanted, but I was not risking the leaks. I can't work on the cars anymore.

A1auto has a decent step by step video on replacing the intake on a Crown Vic. It is about a 3 hour job total.
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 06-20-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks for the info the manifold I have now is the Ford PI intake with the aluminum crossover. I’ve never heard of one of them leaking that’s why I’m hoping I’m wrong about where the leak is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    Thanks for the info the manifold I have now is the Ford PI intake with the aluminum crossover. I’ve never heard of one of them leaking that’s why I’m hoping I’m wrong about where the leak is coming from.
    Yeah, the aluminum ones can leak unfortunately, but at least for the most part they don't just split and start puking coolant everywhere.

Either where the crossover attaches to the intake itself or the intake to the heads it can seep. Usually it'll run down the timing cover and leave streaky marks if allowed to leak for extended periods of time.

Sometimes the heater hose nipple on the back breaks off too.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Awaiting Resurrection
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Yeah, the aluminum ones can leak unfortunately, but at least for the most part they don't just split and start puking coolant everywhere.

Either where the crossover attaches to the intake itself or the intake to the heads it can seep. Usually it'll run down the timing cover and leave streaky marks if allowed to leak for extended periods of time.

Sometimes the heater hose nipple on the back breaks off too.
    That figures, we'll I'm going to see what I can do about it before I go that route. At this rate it will be awhile before I can afford the aftermarket intake and actually have time to install it. I did find out that a friend of a friend has done multiple intake replacements on 4.6's so I will probably get his help when I get around to it. If that turns out to be the leak point.

I managed to fix said leak. I found a local shop who let me borrow their pressure test kit. Turns out it was in fact leaking at the T-Stat housing. The O-ring alone wasnít sealing so I made a gasket and used a bit of blue RTV. 400 miles and no leaks so far.

Huh. Glad it turned out to be an easy fix after all and not the intake.

Your thread reminded me, I have this same problem with my 94 Suburban. In my case though, I think the cap on the radiator is venting some out. The front of the truck always smells "sweet" after it's run. I also noticed when I took it to NC a few years ago that it seeps a bit from the intake manifold. It'll pool up a little bit right on top of it. I've been to lazy to want to pull the intake since I only need to top it off once every few months. That and if I pull the intake, I won't want to put it back. I'll be tempted to put some "go fast" goodies on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackN920 View Post
    Huh. Glad it turned out to be an easy fix after all and not the intake.

Your thread reminded me, I have this same problem with my 94 Suburban. In my case though, I think the cap on the radiator is venting some out. The front of the truck always smells "sweet" after it's run. I also noticed when I took it to NC a few years ago that it seeps a bit from the intake manifold. It'll pool up a little bit right on top of it. I've been to lazy to want to pull the intake since I only need to top it off once every few months. That and if I pull the intake, I won't want to put it back. I'll be tempted to put some "go fast" goodies on it.
    I assume that there's probably a little bit of an issue with the mating surfaces between the top of the intake and the water inlet for the t-stat, either way it's sealed up and no longer leaking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12